X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you feel after 10 weeks?

Hello fellow scolies,

Hope you had a great holiday season.

I am just at ten weeks post-op and I am starting to worry that I am behind in my recovery. I am 8 weeks post-op from the second surgery for infection clean-up. I just got off the IV antibiotic treatment last week.

I force myself to walk a mile twice a day but my back still spasms and tightens up so much it feels like my back is made out of cement. I know the numbness will take time, but the spasms don't seem to relax ever. I still take muscle relaxants and that takes the edge off during the first couple of hours but then it starts to get very tense again the next two hours. I am supposed to go back to work at 12 weeks and I am worried that I will not be ready with so much spasms going on. It is in the upper back and neck area. When I drive more than ten minutes my neck and upper back start burning. However, it is better in the lower back now. I do housekeeping, run errands, and do shopping but it can be very painful and I always need a long nap afterwards.

Is this to be expected? Does it improve at three months or four months?

Keep in mind I am 50 years old so I know I will be slower than a teenager... Am I just over-anxious and having my ADHD kick in or am a slower than to be expected recovery?

All responses are welcome. I love hearing everyone's experience.

Thank you,
    joan

Hi Joan...

That's an awful lot of activity for just 10 weeks post op. Have you tried cutting back to see if the spasms are reduced?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

I hadn't thought about cutting back. I am always pressing forward. It is possible I am pushing too much. I hear about others that have gone back to work at 6 weeks and I try to keep going. Maybe I should relax for a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Joan

Comment

Hi Joan...

I would defnitely cut back on house work and any activity that keeps you on your feet for more than an hour or two at a time, or any activity that keeps you seated for long periods of time without breaks.

I know about wanting to do too much, but you'll eventually get used to cutting back.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Joan,

Just read your post wondering about your recovery. I am at 5 months now (just a couple years younger than you) and would say that your recovery sounds pretty much like mine. Of course, I did not have the extra infection problem treatment that you did, so that might be slowing you down a bit.

I do agree with Linda that it sounds like you may be doing too much housework. I did not start doing the vacuuming or duties that required bending, lifting or pushing comfortably until 3 months. Then gradually build up--maybe sweep one room; then rest before you do another; or just do a little bit each day. Remind your daughter that you still are recovering and it is difficult yet. I had to keep reminding my family that just because I could do a little bit didn't mean I could do it all again. I know that we are supposed to walk but 2 miles a day sounds like too much to me. My dr. said if you were stiffer or sore the next day you were doing too much.

The spasms and burning in the upper back really improved for me by four months. I know it seems forever, but it won't be. Have you done any physical therapy yet? They really know what to target to help loosen up that area; they told me some of it was scar tissue buildup. I saw some real improvement after starting PT at 3 months. I also needed the pain meds for spasms until 4 months; then the worst was over and just the stiff, achy stuff left that can be controlled with over the counter ex strength tylenol, massages, muscle rubs. I still have the tightness in my back and hamstrings left and walk slowly and stiffly like an old lady. My PT said that it is not unusual after this surgery for your muscles to "lock up and hobble you" so to speak to protect the back.

It is only the children and teens who are able to resume school at six weeks. Don't compare yourself to them!! I know that some adults have been able to go back to office work at 12 weeks part time, but I knew I would not be one of them. Six months is going to be a more realistic expectation for me. I am just now starting to not feel like I'm not rehabbing--although I really am! I have PT exercises that I do at home and I walk my dogs, as well as shopping and other errands (as able, with rest breaks).

I know that even though people will tell you that you are doing great, it doesn't feel like it when you are the one s........l.....o.....w....l......y... healing, but believe me, you are doing fine! Congrats! THe worst is behind! Take care,

Deb

age 47
          posterior surgery 7/24/06
          for s curve T72,L76
          50% correction
          DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

Joan,
            I think I may have done very light household chores around 10-12 weeks ..ie. vacuuming ..dishes etc... but I still was lying down ALot in between... I really tried to take it easy as much as I could. I've always been a very active person so it was difficult & frustrating but you do what you've gotta do!
            The most I walked was down my street & back but I was continually going to P.T.
            You seem to be having a remarkable recovery! I'm now at 5 mths post-op & I still need to listen to my body & rest when it tells me... I certainly over did it Christmas Eve & Christmas. I was up on my feet cooking/baking etc & the last few days I paid for it! Had to go back to a quarter of a tablet of Perc- since my incision area got achey & numb.....ahhh!
            As Deb & Linda said, try not to over do it or you'll pay for it later....good luck, Ly

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
            fused T-11 to L-5/Boachie/Kim @HSS/nyc-Aug 1st,2006

Comment

Great info!

Thanks for sharing your stories. It sounds like I am typical. My doc would not let me start physical therapy yet. Only walking. My next appointment is at three months. Maybe it will start then.

Good to know the tightness is normal. It is a scary feeling and I hope it goes away soon.

I will do more resting between activities.

Thanks,
              Joan

Comment

Joan,
                I was 30 when I had my surgery and I went back to work at 11 weeks, but only for 4 hours a day, somedays less, depending on how I felt. I would then come home from work and sleep for the next 3 or 4 hours. I'm an admin assistant, so I essentially sit all day, not really exerting myself that much. I would feel tightness and spasms when I overdid it and then I would spend the next day feeling like I had been hit by a truck. It sounds like you're doing ALOT for someone who is 8 weeks post op so I say to definitely take Linda's advice and slow down and see how your body responds. Good luck!

Comment

Joan, we are the same age, and my surgeon originally said my recovery would entail about 3 months of leave from work. However, it was 5 1/2 months before I was able to return. My work wouldn't accept any limitations in my job responsibilities, due to the liability I am sure. For example, some limitations I had said I couldn't lift greater than 10 pounds, twist, or bend at the waist. I am a nurse and work in a hospital with newborns and even when my doctor wanted me to start back to work first doing 6 hours instead of a 12 hour shift my work would not accommodate me, so I stayed at home longer. However, I used to be in public education (school nurse) and I think they are much more accommodating with their personnel with regards to health issues. My advice is this: take off any time you need and don't rush it. I worked full-time for 4 months after returning from my surgery and found it to be too much. I am now part-time and much happier.

Comment

Hi Joan,

I may be way out in left field here, but I feel that many of us have been hard working people before our surgery. And I kind of think that we expected some kind of miracle cure for our constant pain. I know I did!!!

In my case, what I call my "Before Surgery" pain is gone, but that doesn't mean that I was not without pain!!! It takes some time for us to recover, some longer than others. I know I expected to be "back up and running" as normal, sooner than I was. I was ashamed that I wasn't!!!

Having worked hard all my life, and then to have to put the brakes on, for me, has been hard to do, as I'm sure it has for many of us!!! But we have to let our bodies heal.

Take the time to let your body heal!!!
                    Shari

Comment

I'm going to try not to be 'negative' here...

Joan, you are doing wonderfully well, REALLY, to be accomplishing all you are so soon!!! I think the only problem may be that you are expecting too much too soon... I didn't return to work for 3 months and even then it took everything out of me and i was ready to collapse by the end of the day.

I looked back thru these messages and found one i posted when i was 4 months post-op titled " I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!" ... I remember that so well and sounds like you are at that stage too... Its a stage we all go thru where we feel that we should be able to do more than we can right now. Just be patient! All things occur in their own good times.

You have my thoughts and prayers, because i do know just what you are going thru. (((((hugs))))) JoAnn

Comment

Sounds like I am having a normal recovery!

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess I am in the "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" stage. I would be feeling great if I didn't have this load of bricks on my back! That is a scary feeling that I was not prepared for and I want it to go away like a miracle. Guess that is not going to happen overnight. Your responses were describing me exactly.

I am anxious for my 12 week appointment to hear my doctor's reaction to my progress. Maybe physical therapy will start and that might help.

OK, so back to work at 12 weeks part-time is not bad. Resting is in. Less aggressive activity level. I will hold off on posting the personals ad and looking for dating opportunities... Chill out, Joan.

Got it! Thanks for being there guys. I needed that.

Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,

I don't think posting a personal ad would hurt you!!!

Shari

Comment

That's true Shari!

But, I'm thinking there is no telling what I would say in an email when on meds!

Happy New Year!
                            joan

Comment

Working...
                            X