Merry Christmas from Marcia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas from Marcia

I am sorry I haven't posted very much. It is still an effort and I'm still moving slowly. It has been 2 1/2 months since surgery and I am starting to get around better. Several of you have asked about me, so thought I'd take a minute to let you know I am ok.

During surgery I had a stroke (16 units of blood were used during surgery!) I had a dural tear on my spinal cord during surgery also. This left me with some slight paralysis on my right leg and foot. It is coming back slowly but I am totally dependent on my walker still. All effects from the stroke seem to be healed.

Because of the long 14 hours surgery, my digestive system shut down for several days. This destroyed my gallbladder. They wouldn't remove it because I was still so very sick. I am happy to report that 2 weeks ago my gallbladder was removed. I am starting to get my appetite back now. For the first 2 months I have struggled forcing myself to eat. I've lost 20 lbs. What a hard way to lose 20 lbs!

I'll try to share the before and after pictures of me soon. The back surgery was a success even if it nearly killed me!

I still face brain surgery (aneurisms found when tests were run checking out the stroke) which we will do in a few months.

I am 57 years old, so this was a surgery that was just about more than my body could handle even though I thought I was very healthy.

I don't mean this to be negative, but letting you know that this can be a very serious surgery and many things can and might go wrong. Just more than my share happened to me. I hope each of you can avoid the trauma I have faced by having your back surgery done when you are younger and not waiting as long as I did.

I hope you all have a wonderful, pain-free Christmas! God has blessed me with so much and I am grateful he pulled me through this recovery period. Prayers have really blessed me.

Hello Marcia

How wonderful to hear from you again. I had my surgery on the 5th and after getting past the first 3 or 4 days all begin to change and I am doing very well. I had several critical things hit me right after my surgery but they were on top of them immediately and when I turned the corner I just kept improving. I have been home since last Tues and will start my rehab on the 5th. I am walking here at home and doing the exercises they sent me home with. My left side is weaker than the right so it will take a bit more to come around. My toes on my left foot feel like they are half a sleep most of the time. Walking seems to help tho. I even took a little walk around my cul-de-sac in the sunshine a couple of days ago. One of the things they got concerned about was my gallbladder also. I think maybe you caused them to become aware that this could be a problem. I do have gallstones but not bad enough to have them removed. I came home with a cane and not a walker--praise God and I can shower without my brace as well as potty at night without having to put it on. That is a step toward freedom!! I was able to go to church last night and what a blessing that was. I am so thankful to God for his protection. I will continue to pray for your healing and as you are able please let us know how you are doing.
    God bless you and your family. And may you have a wonderful Christmas.
    Linda G.

Comment

Hi Marcia,

It truly is great to hear from you. You've been in many of our thoughts!!! You have been through so much, you are a very strong person.

We all enter into this surgery knowing it is difficult and there are always risks, but your strenght is amazing to me. I don't take what you have said as a negative!!! There is nothing wrong with sharing the truth.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope your recovery from everything gets easier.

I feel like a wimp,
      Shari

Comment

Marcia,

So good to hear from you. I appreciate you sharing your testimony with us about your harrowing experience. It reconfirms the seriousness of this surgery. It's not just about how much straighter our spines will look after surgery. When I saw Dr. Keith Bridwell in St. Louis he told me that he will no longer perform thoracoabdominal procedures on patients our age because of the increased risk for complications. And it becomes clearer to me after reading your account.

Best wishes for a better New Year,

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X