I'm Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Home

I came home yesterday and am doing great. Yep there was a little bump in the road but everything has settled down and here I am at home exactly 2 weeks after surgery. Of course my biggest fear was waking up in pain and that happened. The epidural failed and the pain meds didn't deliver so I was a real mess. Blood pressure skyrocketed ect but they managed to get it all under control quickly and by the 3rd day I was doing pretty well. Went to rehab 8 days after surgery. In no time I was walking and doing the things I needed to do. Would I recommend this surgery to others????? That has to be a decision made between doc and patient. I am a long way from being totally OK but I had (I believe) the best of surgeons and the best of rehab docs that were available to me. They tell me the surgery went perfect and looking at my xrays I am 100% straight. I gained an inch in height which tells me I am suppose to be short no matter what. ha!! I plan to continue to work hard and follow all orders. In a year or less this will be a fading memory and my life will be pain free. Thank you for prayers and special thoughts. You are all winners here. I am just so thankful that the surgery in behind me and God has been with me thru it all. Linda G.

Linda,
    I am so happy to hear that you're doing well! Hearing that you're feeling a little better is great, since I have exactly two weeks until my surgery! I will say a prayer that your recovery is quick and easy. Happy Holidays!

Lesly

Comment

Lesly, I think one of the main things I would tell anyone getting ready for this is to try to remember that the fear of the unknown is worse that the event in most cases. I will pray that all goes well with you. Linda G.

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that you are home and recovering. I'm sorry to hear that you had so much pain, but I'm glad you got through it all. Prayers for a successful recovery and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

hi linda, glad to hear everything went ok other than the pain.
          Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Hi Linda, welcome back! At this point (6 months til my own surgery), I'm hanging on every word said by those who are now going through it. You sound extremely perky for just being two weeks out from surgery! Keep up the good work!
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Welcome back, Linda! So happy to hear that you are home now and can focus on your recovery and enjoy the holidays with your family.

Good healing,

Chris

Comment

Congratulations on a fantastic correction

Glad to hear from you now that you are home. You are forming great sentences and are much more alert than I was at two weeks post op! Take care and keep us posted. Wonderful to hear you are home.

Joan

Comment

Hi Linda--welcome back

Hi Linda,

I am your age and had my surgery this year, also. Your experience sounds almost exactly like mine in that I had pain issues afterwards, also, and had a racing heartbeat instead of the blood pressure problem afterwards. Like you, they were able to get it under control and my recovery went smoothly after that.

Just remember to work with your dr. on getting off of the pain killers, especially the oxycodone needs to be tapered off slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. For now, just take the pain meds, rest, and focus on healing. This is a long, slow recovery at our age--there isn't any getting away from that. But I am also very glad that I had it done--my pain issues are already improved from before and I also gained 2 inches height. It is amazing how much better I have been feeling over the past month (4-5 months postop).

Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

Deb
                  age 47
                  posterior surgery 7/24/06
                  for S curve T72,L77
                  50% correction
                  DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

Hey Deb

Thanks for the compliment but I am a little older than you. I will be 64 in March. Everyday I see little slivers of silver lining. I can tell tho that this will be a long recovery. I am fortunate that the only pain meds I am on are Norco and a Fentynal patch. I am already increasing the time between doses so hopefully it will not be too bad weaning off. I think I will be glad to start rehab so I will have something to do. I am very active and this doing nothing isn't easy. Of course I look around my house and see so much I would do if I could. Husbands seem to be able to ignore the dust bunnies etc. haha Maid service starting next week!!!!
                    Linda G.

Comment

Hi Linda G,

It's so good to hear from you so soon after surgery. I hope all continues to go well for you. And if you have other bumps in the road, we're here for you!!

I named my dust bunnies,
                      Shari

Comment

Working...
                      X