Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly diagnosed . . .Is it really this dreary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed . . .Is it really this dreary?

Hello . . . first time on this site. I am a 31 year old (pretty fit) mom of 2. Prior to my 1st child's birth, the doctors noted a "slight" 3-5% curve in my lower spine. Advised me there was absoluley NO reason to worry. About 3 years after the birth of my 2nd child (2 years later), I began to have severe back pain. Joking to my girlfriends that this must be what it felt like to turn 30, I continued to ignore the pain. A few months ago, I could not get out of bed and decided to go to the orthopaedic doctor. It was determined that I have a 28% curve in the lower part of my spine. I have had a full arthritis panel performed and am awaiting the bone density scan. The doctor is puzzled as to why I would progress 25% in less than 5 years. I have gone through 3 month of physical therapy and it does help the overall function of my back, but I am costantly plagued with right shoulder pain and sciatica.

I am fearful of what the future holds for me. THe doctor said my back was vey weak and I needed to strengthen it daily to minimize progression of the scoliosis. I understand that there is really no way to reverse my condition, but I would really love to know what I can to to slow this progression down and aim for a healthier, stronger future. Does anyone know of an exerise regimen that helps?

THanks guys!

Hi SSM..

I think it's entirely possible that you have what is called a functional scoliosis. Finding a good physical therapist, rolfer, or other non-surgical solution is not only possible, but I'd highly recommend working to find someone who can help. From my own experience, I know it can take a long time and a lot of effort to find the right person.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

SSM,
      I agree 100% with Linda. I've seen many folks in your shoes, and I don't believe the outlook is necessarily as grim as you might think. If you would like some reputable and experienced referals of people in your area, feel free to private message me and I can possibly point you in a direction to start with. As Linda said, finding the right person can be a long and arduous task, but well worth the effort when it happens.

All the best,

structural

Comment

Right shoulder pain and sciatica... Exactly! How I hate them both from the bottom of my heart. I've heard of pregnancy causing various back disorders from many. I had a vasectomy, so I better not get pregnant! Otherwise, I feel your pain, SSMommy!

Comment

Working...
        X