.....What am I supposed to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .....What am I supposed to do?

I was diagnosed with scoliosis a year and a half ago I believe it was. I have curve degrees that are at the level for bracing, but the doctors are currentally just watching them for now. For the past month or so, I've been having horrible back pain. I'm going to a doctor in a few days. Any ideas of what will happen?

(I'm thirteen by the way).

I'd also like to say that I've been watching this forum for about a month now, until I made this account. Everyone's so nice.

Heya,

I get a lotta back pain too, especially when im carryin my bag at college or if im dancing or summat. What exactly r ur curve sizes? cos mine are only 35 or so but im still havin the op cos my doc thinks id benefit. I can't say that there is really anything that definitely takes the pain away - just paracetamol and stretching for me!!!
    I know what u mean bout every1 bein so nice; it seems to me like 1 big community and loadsa people have helped me through this.

If u eva wanna talk u no where we are!!!

x x x
    Jenny
    18 years old
    Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
    Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

Comment

My daughter, Rachel, had constant back pain from her scoliosis until she got her Spinecor brace. After she got her Spinecor, she hurt if she was out of it for a while for a few months. Now, she can be out of brace for hours and not hurt.
      I think traditional braces help with the pain, too. I have seen posts to that effect.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

My curves are roughly around 30 degrees.

Cheryl - So your saying it did help. What were her curves?

Comment

Yes, the Spinecor brace helped her tremendously. She was 10 when she got the brace in January of this year; her curves were 38 thoracic/27 lumbar the day of the fitting, out of brace. At her last appointment in August, she was 20T/18L, in brace. We haven't done out of brace x-rays since April. They did out of brace x-rays at Shriners Erie, and I think she was 30T/19L, out of brace, of course that is with a different physician, and they could be measuring from different vertebrae.
          Rachel was in constant pain, before her brace. She couldn't do activities that required any stooping or bending. She couldn't play outside for long at all without coming in and saying her back hurt. She couldn't even sit at the piano for longer than 10 or 15 minutes without pain.
          That was the first thing we noticed after getting the brace. She didn't hurt at all when she was in her brace. The first month or so, her back hurt when she was out of brace to wash it. That usually takes a couple of hours.
          By June, we went camping and she was playing in a stream all day, out of brace for hours at a time, picking up rocks, etc., with no pain.
          According to Shriners, Rachel has a 100% chance of surgery, but she has grown 3 or 4 inches since getting her brace, and her alignment is tremendously better, not worse.
          Her right shoulder started out an inch to an 1 1/2 inches above her left. Her breasts were significantly different, also. Now both are almost perfectly aligned.
          I am hopeful.
          But if her growth and curve eventually overtake this brace, I will still be forever grateful for the function and growth it allowed her this year. Even the lack of pain would have been worth the trouble. She was not able to function normally at all before.
          Hugs,
          Cheryl
          Last edited by cherylplinder; 12-18-2006, 08:26 AM.
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I get horrible back pain, too. I have three curves in my spine, the worst being at 90 degrees in my middle back. I cannot have the operation because of a lung problem I have so my only other option is to do yoga stretches for the rest of my life, because I've already been in a bracing program and I was kicked out. Good luck with whatever treatment method you decide to pursue.

Comment

Thanks for your help. ^.^

The doctor's visit went fairly well I suppose. As good as it'll get. He redirected me to a different doctor as he said that he thinks that I have something different along with scoliosis.

Comment

Working...
              X