Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-op tests

Hi Everyone!

Thoughts and prayers to Ninja and Ashley who are both having surgery today..
    I am scheduled for my pre-op appts tomorrow. Bone density, MRI, etc. The thought of being in an MRI tube terrifies me... Can anyone give me any advice about how to deal with this (mind over matter of course!!) ?? Also, I have valium that I can take, but I've never taken anything like it, and I don't know if that's a good idea either.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lesly

I have my MRI's tomarrow too. They are doing two parts then, and I will go back to get the third part (lumbar, thoracic, and cervical spine MRIs). I have had an MRI before, it took about 45 minutes... not the best experience I have had but I also was not medicated. This time they told me that I could have Valium too so I don't see why not take it- it would prolly make the experience a lot less stressful- just you have to bring someone to drive you home. Don't expect to sleep through it because it sounds like a jackhammer! haha...

Wear something cool so you don't get hot in there... last time I wore athletic shorts, a sports bra, and a t-shirt so i didn't have to wear a hospital gown.
    good luck!

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

MRIs are unsettling to say the least...I found I was fine as long as I didn't open my eyes. They will give you an eye cover if you want. And yeah, it's hot in there.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I can usually put myself in a trance during an MRI... urm, practice make it perfect? I've had five... or is it six... I lost my count. Anyway, I've had a ton this year alone, and all the machines I've been in had AC system in the tube. My longest took 1.5 hrs, it was w/ and w/o contrast.
        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
        2005 - T50, L31
        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Definitely keep your eyes closed. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wouldn't take a valium if you have never taken one before. It wouldn't be the best place to have an adverse reaction.
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

I had two MRIs the first one was scary, when I had the second one I kept my eyes closed and it helped. Try to think about something happy to concentrate on during the test and be prepared for the noise, it very loud.

Sue

Comment

I have had several MRI's. Everyone is right about keeping your eyes closed. If you have the valium, take it. The tube is very close and even if you are not clusterfobic (sp), it will still make you feel uncomfortable.
              SandyC

Comment

Lesly-I had more scary thoughts about the MRI than the surgery, I think! I was in like M&M for about an hour & 1/2, felt like 3 hours! The tech had to do some of mine over to fit in the curve! I had a an open one several years ago & the one before surgery was a closed so I was nervous going in... I took a couple cd's & he put them on & it helped drown out the other noises. I put a blindfold on as soon as I entered the room & kept it on almost until I was out the door....Of course I never want to hear another Beatles song again in my life....Ly
                http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                fused T-11-L-5-aug 2006..

Comment

Working...
                X