Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New on this site

Hello, everyone:

I've been reading your messages (in Surgical:First Time) for the past couple of weeks but I was not set up to send messages until now.

I am a woman in her late 50s (young for my age, so that means I'm in good physical shape) who has ideopathic scoliosis. All my adult life my lumbar curve was 45 degrees/ sacral: around 20 degrees. I have suffered from chronic pain for a number of years, and have been going to a pain clinic doctor for around three years. Surgery was not recommended, since my curvature was apparently stable. This doctor recently referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, the best in San Diego, who specializes in spinal deformities. She did this because my pain was increasing. He ordered an Xray which indicated that my lumbar curve has progressed to 55 degrees/sacral: around 38 degrees. So I will be having a spinal fusion sometime next Spring. Having watched both my mother (at age 70! Too late!) and my son (at 14) go through difficult fusion surgeries, I swore I'd never have one. Now I know I must, since my curves are progressing. So I'm here, looking for your knowledge and support. Many of the accounts I've been reading on this site have already helped me. I realize the need for a support network as I go through this next step. And I'm scared. I know, this is normal, but it still isn't easy. So I'm reaching out to all of you to help me cope.

Thanks,
    Brynn

New on this site II

Just an editing message: I meant Thoracic curve, not Sacral (silly me!)
    Brynn

Comment

Hi Brynn,

I'm right there with you. I'm 57 and have been advised to have surgery within the next year or two to treat my severe 75 degree lumbar curve. At our age the thought of going through this major surgery is very frightening, but I am encouraged when I hear of others our age who have gone through this and have no regrets despite the long painful recovery. It's obvious that finding a very talented surgeon is paramount to one's outcome and this forum has been extremely helpful addressing that issue as well as others.

Hang in there.

Chris

Comment

Hi Brynn,

Good luck to you- I also suffer from scoliosis and should have had surgery years ago but it never bothered me much until the past few years. My son's ortho surgeon referred me to some dr.'s who treat adult scoliosis in the San Diego area (Akbarnia, Bagheri or Garfin) but I have not yet consulted with any of them. I will probably start with Dr. Akbarnia, but would you mind sharing who your dr. is and your opinion regarding his/her expertise, demeanor w/patient, etc.?

Also wanted to let you know there is a scoliosis support group in San Diego, their meetings are held at Children's Hospital. The next meeting is supposed to be held sometime in January. You can check our their website at www.sdscoliosis.com.

Regards,

Renee

Comment

Surgery in our 50s; anterior and posterior fusions

Thank you, Chris, for your response. I have to laugh at myself these days. I am very scared about the surgery one day, then fine the next. Sometimes I focus on the possibility that I could be stiffer and in more pain after the surgery. Sometimes I think about the possibility that I'll be in less pain and much straighter. I'm already 5'9", so I am not thrilled about being even taller, but it'll be OK. I have to admit, I'm sometimes petrified when I think about the pain right afterwards. Also, my surgeon, Dr.Akbarnia (San Diego), says he'll probably do two surgeries with a week apart: anterior and then posterior. I'd be staying in the hospital for the week in between. Sounds tough. Do you, or anyone else who reads this, know much about this? Have you experienced it or do you know anyone who has?

As far as surgery at our age: I feel healthy, except for scoliosis pain, but I am older. I plan to strengthen my "core" with exercise and also focus on healthy eating/supplements from now until my surgery. I am seeing a hypnotherapist who will be helping with both pain relief and positive thinking.

Mainly, I think things will go much better with the support and fellowship of others with scoliosis who are dealing with surgery (or have dealt with it.) So I'm happy I've found this site!

Take care, Brynn

Comment

To Flowerpower

Dear Renee,

So you are from San Diego too! My surgeon is Dr. Akbarnia. The doctor who referred me (Dr.Magnusson, from the Sharp Rehab pain clinic), said he is the best in town, the one she'd go to if she needed surgery. He has done a lot of research and uses the least invasive methods currently available. He takes referrals from other orthopedic surgeons (except in rare cases like mine, with a doctor who begged my insurance co. to waive the rule). When I went to his office to drop off my Xrays a couple of patients raved about the "miracles" he's done in their lives. If you want to check him out his website is www.http://www.sandiego-spine.com/. He specializes in spinal deformities.

My son had surgery at age 14 at Children's Hospital too. His doctor was Dr. Dennis Wenger.

Good luck to you! Let's keep in touch.

Brynn

Comment

Dr. Akbarnia's website: San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders
              www.sandiego-spine.com

Comment

Hi Brynn,

I have also heard that Dr. Akbarnia is the best in our area. I am looking forward to but also very scared about being checked after all these years.

How long ago was your son's surgery and how is he doing now? It would be great to keep in touch -

Renee

Comment

Hi Brynn, welcome. I'm in my early 50s, scheduled for surgery in six months, and I totally understand what you mean about being scared to death some days and fine other days. I suspect that's just the way it is. I've noticed that most people on this site who have had the surgery experience a certain calm and determination right before they have the operation. I think it's nature's way of preparing us for this very challenging experience.

Also, I experienced a lot of shock and dismay when I first learned that I needed the surgery...but as time goes by, I'm getting a bit more used to the idea. People really do seem to do okay with this.

Best wishes,
                  Chris
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                  X