Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Males with Scolosis / had a spinal fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Males with Scolosis / had a spinal fusion?

I am a 18 male. I know scoliosis is mostly seen in females? Are there any males who have it or received a spinal fusion? I am curious about this because there doesnt seem to be as many compared to females.

Hi there,

I am a 31 year-old with scoliosis, but it was diagnosed as early as my teen years. Typically, women are much more prone to it than men, especially younger ones. But there are quite a few of us males who still get stuck with it anyway! You should read through some of these forums - LBloodojunkleg (I think that is his name) posted on a few of my earlier threads - he was 19 when he had his surgery done (just recently) so you may find it helpful to read through some of the things he had to say. There is a lot of support here, so feel free to use it.
    32 y/o male
    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

There are plenty of males! I'm 54 and have a 30C 50T 40L curve.
      Age 54, 30C-50T-40L
      western suburbs of Chicago

Comment

Hi Smoke,

I used to be under the impression that it was alot more common in females also. But the more I learn about it the more I realize that it is not quite true.

Shari

Comment

Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis (by far the most common kind) is more likely to affect girls. For the other sorts of scoliosis (infantile idiopathic, juvenile idiopathic, and congenital) boys and girls seem to be affected equally.

Of course there's scoliosis that is caused by other conditions, which I would imagine affect boys and girls equally too.

Comment

Working...
          X