2nd opinion - good news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd opinion - good news!

Hi everyone. Had my second opinion appt. today finally with Dr. Kebaish and one of his associates. As a result, I am going to hold off on surgery for a while. He measured my curves again from my xrays and both of them said they actually did not see any signs of a significant progression, if even any progression at all due to variables in measurements, etc. So, at this point there seems to be no reason to have surgery since I am really not in any pain - just very minor discomfort every now and then. So we're going to watch yearly and see what happens. He told me that I should be able to recover about as quickly as I can now even in another 10 years when I'm close to 41, provided I stay in good shape. I feel confident with this decision (finally).

It was interesting to have such different perspectives from two different doctors from the same xrays. I would certainly advise a lot of you contemplating surgery to take your xrays to a second doctor!
    32 y/o male
    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Hi Brian,

Great news! Sounds like you are very comfortable with the answers you recieved. I hope you liked Dr. Kebaish as much as I did. He knows what he is talking about. Good luck to you and hopefully your curves stay where they are!

Dori

Comment

It's your call. 50 degrees is right on the border. If your happy with things as they are then probably not having surgery at the moment is the right decision.

Comment

That's the answer I wish I'd gotten from all the doctors I went to see...lol !
        Good luck to you.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes all. It is comforting knowing that I can put this out of my head for a little while - well, hopefully a long while. I am going to take good care of my back though - no more lifting heavy things stupidly. And Dr. Kebaish told me running is not a good idea - perfect - I hate running. So with any luck, these curves will hold.

Dori - how are you feeling? I did like Dr. Kebaish, especially since he said to do something else this summer besides surgery. He may be my favorite doctor ever.
          32 y/o male
          S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
          Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

sounds like your balanced..

Brian-- Your curves seem fairly balanced so that's good.. I just had my 4 mth check-up after surgery & I am now about 60/60 & balanced..that seems to be the key! coming from a 95 thoroc. curve, I'm happy..
            I only get sad when I look in the closet & spot my roller blades... .Ly

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
            fused T-11 to L-5..Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYC

Comment

Hi Brian,

That's good news!!! The main thing is that you're happy with you doctor and your decision!!! Keep up with your yearly appointments, you are still young.

And as long as you only have minor discomfort, that would be my choice too.
              Congratulations and stay strong!!! We are all different and not everyone's curvature progresses.

Best wishes that you're one of those that don't,
              Shari

Comment

Hi Brian,

Thanks for asking. I am doing fantastic! Sometimes I can't believe that I had surgery 10 weeks ago. I am up every day to get my kids off to school with no problem. I am driving and doing the Christmas shopping! I try to be careful not to do too much during the day or I find myself tired and sore at night, (but so does most everyone, surgery or not, right?). Anyway, my husband is coming home from a 6 month deployment on a ship (Navy guy) and we are moving to San Diego. We are planning a cross country trip, something I did not think I would be able to do! We are spending New Year's Eve at DisneyLand with our kids before we head to our new home.

I am so happy with my new back and my new life. I love that the worries about my curve are over and that I can now concentrate on my family and future. Obviously, I love Dr. Kebaish. He is amazing and I believe one of the best, even though he does not get a lot of recognition on this site. He corrected my curve from 60* to 8*, with a beautiful recovery, you can't ask for much more than that!

I do hope you never have to go through the surgery and that your curves stay stable. But, if you do find yourself in that position some day, I wish you the best of luck. Take care.

Dori

Comment

Dori,

That is so awesome! I'm thrilled your recovery is going so well!! Happy holidays everyone!
                  Best,
                  Anya
                  "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                  Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                  19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X