donating blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donating blood

has anyone ever been told that its not good to donate your own blood for surgery?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi...

It appears that the latest recommendation is that if donating one's own blood is going to compromise the patient's health in any way, than blood bank blood is a better option. When I've been with patients in the past year, they've been told that they can donate their own blood if they like, but that using blood bank blood if necessary, may be a better option.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

gayle---I was told it was the best to donate your own blood...if you can..Ly

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
      surg..aug 1, 2006 fused T-11 to L-5/Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYC

Comment

donating blood

I've been told that I would probably need 4 - 6 pints. One can donate only once a week, the blood is good for only 4 weeks unless it is frozen, and most/all? insurance does NOT pay for freezing, which is very expensive. Also it is not recommended to donate in the week preceding surgery. Since it is very likely that I would need some donated blood, the recommendation was to not wear myself out trying to donate all the blood I might need.

Contemplating surgery in 2007 with Dr. Berven @ UCSF
        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I actualy gave 3 pints of my own blood and the last time was less than a week from the time before...I gave blood on Oct. 20, 27, 31. I had surgery on Nov. 8th. I did not need any blood during my surgery however 2 day after surgery my blood pressure and blood count dropped so low that I ended up getting 2 of those pints back.

I was told that donating your own blood is advised but that it sometimes cause some patients to be weaker after surgery and that it wasn't recommended if it compromised the health of the patient.

Comment

my dr told me that it wasnt good to donate my own blood before surgeey because its like going on a long road trip with a half tank of gas.he said its better to start surgery with all the blood i have .does that sound right?
            Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Frozen blood

How long does frozen blood last?

Comment

Originally posted by JanM
                How long does frozen blood last?
                According to this website, 10 years:

http://www.thebloodconnection.org/programs_frozen.htm
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                X