Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange question???

To anyone,

For many years I have considered donating my body to science to help further the study of scoliosis. Even though I'm not sure it would help once we are gone.

My question is, can my rods and screws be used for someone else??? Is it possible to donate them to someone less fortunate??? I realize this is a morbid subject, but I really would like to know if someone else could benefit from them like I have!!!

Shari

Hi Shari...

Certainly not in this country. And, I doubt that anyone would find it worth the work to go and dig out the implants.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Nope. Anytime someone donates their body to science, after the cadavar is 'used' everything gets returned for cremation. (Of course, metal implants won't burn but nothing that came from a cadavar can be left behind)

As for donating, people frequently are under the assumption that if they have a condition, after their deaths, their bodies will be used for researching the condition that they have. The fact is, unless there are specific, written pre-arranged terms with a researcher or a researching facility, your body will be used for whatever purpose. My professor actually had to return a cadavar for a gross anatomy class because the cadavar had muscular dystrophy and was not useful at all for learning muscular anatomy... You'd think that body would have been used to research MD but no...
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I was looking at an itemized bill from the hospital and it stated that the rods cost $48,000, it just seems like such a waste!!!

I'm an organ donor, and I am a recipient of cadaver bone. I guess my curiosity got the best of me!!!

Thanks for the info,
        Shari

Comment

$48,000?!?! Wow - maybe we can sell ourselves on the black market and get really nice cars... I've never thought of using myself as a trade in, but it's good to know that I'd be worth more than many luxury sedans. I suppose that's another positive of having surgery.
          32 y/o male
          S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
          Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

I didn't get the cost for my rods yet but the screws were over $7000 Should of went to Home Depot. lol
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Dawny,

Thanks for the chuckle!!!! I thought I should have taken the shafts of my golf clubs, they're titanium.

Shari

Comment

Working...
              X