surgery one year ago, doing great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery one year ago, doing great

Surgery has really made a difference in the quality of my life. For the past year I've been reading about recoveries here and I thought mine was pretty slow. But this past week I went and did some sight seeing and I was able to stand for 4 hours plus with no discomfort, something I couldn't do before the surgery. My lung function is pretty near post op levels l now. I used to get out of breath when walking very easily after the surgery and now I can almost, but not quite keep up with my friends. I honestly did not think I would feel this well, because it took so long. I'm tempted to start running and horseback riding again, but I'm afraid I'll end up with pain again in a few years. I'm going to try bike riding again,but I want to get a bike with shock absorbers first. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bike?
    Also, I never thought I looked bad pre surgery or paid much attention to the way I looked, but I saw how crooked I was in some pre op beach photos. I'm going to take some pictures this year for comparison. I have this perception that strangers seem to be friendlier post surgery-maybe because I'm not in pain?

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well. I am about 3 months post op and I am starting to feel kinda back to normal but still have a lot of restrictions and get tired very easily.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Awesome!
      I'm almost 7 months post-op and feeling great too!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Lindabar---I think we are close in age...I'm 47 now/ about 4 1/2 mths post-op & feeling really great! It's great to get your stamina back!

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        fused T-11 to L-5//Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYC-Aug 1st

Comment

thanks for all your responses...

I'm glad you're all feeling great too. Lynne, I live in Australia, but currently visiting south New Jersey.

Comment

Hi Lindabar,

Congratulations!!!! I don't think it really matters how long it takes us to recover, just that we do recover!!!! I've had a long recovery too. And I still have bad days. But my bad days are never as bad, compared to how I felt before I had my surgery.

I made the stupid mistake of scrubbing my kitchen floor on my hands and knees 2 weeks ago and I have been paying for it ever since. I felt so good and I knew it needed done, and now I'm sorry!!!

I love horses and being physically active, but there has to be a point where you put your body first!!! And as hard as it's been, I have had to come to the realization, that I can only do so much for now.

None of us heals the same, so take it one step at a time, don't rush it.

Shari

Comment

Amen to what Shari said...

Can't add anything there...
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Woried??????????

Hey can i join your group...well i havent had surgery and im 11 and i have idiopathic scoliosis 45 degrees top and 19 bottem well i have a few questions does surgrey hurt? what kind of surgery did you get? How long was your recovery? sorry im asking too many questions i guess im just curios you can email me at alexiselliott@msn.com thanks for hearing my story

sincerly,
                alexis

Comment

Working...
                X