Physical Therapy is a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy is a joke

I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon Monday. I have a 40 degree curve in my upper back (going to the right) and he sees a curve pushing my right shoulder blade out about ???? I can't remember the degree now but he said it was moderate. The hunch back thing I call it.
    My lower back has a 25 degree curve turning opposite of the upper curve.
    I asked apout bracing due to
    #1 pain and feeling like I am falling over
    #2 it has progressed 10 degrees in 2 years. ( seems like a lot to me)
    The Dr. said after I do the max. amount of Physical Therapy my Insc. will allow then they will do bracing if I think it will help.
    HELLO.... I see a problem since I am having surgery next week and 2 more over the next 3 months for something else. When I fnally get able to do P.T. it may be September.
    Is this normal to do P.T. first? I have done it before and does nothing.
    He said use NSAID's and moist heat. And continue the Narcotics and Neurontin I am on.
    Whaat is up with this , is it true to form of others????
    f.r.o.g.g.i.e.

With insurance this is pretty status quo. First you have to physical therapy to try and strengthen any weak muscles. The insurance has a magical number of visits for this. Then they will pay for other remedies. But those remedies must be done bfore surgery is considered. How you work rhis in around other operations is beyond me, but try to jump the hoops for now. Once you get past the magic number you can talk about a brace. This isn't a doctor thing it is an insurance decided thing. Frustrating any way you put it!!

Comment

onebabyfrog-

Do you mind me asking who your Ortho Dr is? I am in Virginia too and have a wonderful Dr.
      Alison
      Upper 98
      Lower 96
      3 surgeries Jan 02' Mar 02 & Sept 03'

Comment

New to this scoliosis "life"

I'm new to all this, diagnosed last year at age 41 with 30 degree (Mom diagnosed at age 58). So, I can expect it to get worse?? I found the PT was nothing more than stupid stretching exercises, the same photocopies my boss received for back & knee surgery stuff. I need advice, if you are out there. Should I be re-xrayed in a year or two? Had a knee dislocation, non related, but kind of threw off my "improvement." I have an office job that hurts, bought a back support for walking, made a difference. Anyway, maybe you could write back, could use any and all info. Enjoy your day. Linda

Comment

Donnalee-

I had PT after my surgeries and that helped me because I was so stiff from not being able to move like I was used to. However, Pre-op my Dr. told me that it wasnt beneficial for me to do PT it wouldnt have helped my problem.

Sometimes the curves worsen over time.. Mine did I opted to not go to the Dr because of Vanity and ended up getting 50% worse that it was when I was first diagnosed at 17. You need to see an Orthopaedic Dr who allows you to have an opinion and options of treatment.

I have a wonderful Dr but I am in virginia. Have you asked your Dr. If surgery is an option? do you want to have surgery it your curve gets worse?
          Last edited by Skooter; 08-05-2004, 05:12 PM.
          Alison
          Upper 98
          Lower 96
          3 surgeries Jan 02' Mar 02 & Sept 03'

Comment

Hello, Skooter:

Thank you. I read the scoliosis newsletter, I believe the Winter 2003 one that said that everything we have been told is not accurate and this "inherited, nothing you can do" just is not the case. More of a balance issue. So I am just trying to gather info on whether the PT little exercises are worth it. Guess I am kind of discouraged, who knew at 41 I'd be writing this?!? The PT seems to think the "top" went into a C first, then the "bottom" compensated, and that makes sense. Worst MD in the world, told me that I must have had it all my life, that everyone "hid" it from me. Can you believe it? Then went on to tell me my family was stupid (yes, used those words) if they never noticed. Umm, as a Flag Girl with a major marching band with seamstresses, well, that MD is no longer on my Christmas card list. Anyway, still wondering if another X-ray in a year or two is any indicator. Also, any advice for lumbar pain? The back support is tough to wear sitting down. Oh, I am in Northern California, attached to San Francisco.

Comment

Yah P.T. is one of the first things they make you do to streach muscles and so forth.. I completely agree with you. I think that i was stupid and a waist of my time and my money to have had to go there.. I couldn't understand it.. And still don't.. My PT told me that she had no idida why the DR had sent me to see her. There wasn't anything that she could do to help me.. She said she could give me streaches to do but that doesn't helpp much with the pain and or making my back much better.. I have a 45 degree curve in the lower back and a 25 degree in the top.. These doctors seem like all they want is your money and the are not helping you at all.. I have waisted so much money on alternitive treatments that i probley could have paid for my surgery twice over atleast then i would be feeling better.. You just have to hang in there. I will all come togeather sooner or later.
              Smiley

Comment

Working...
              X