Spine surgery without an MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spine surgery without an MRI

My son will be needing spine surgery in the next 3-5 months for congenital scoiliosis. We are in the process of finding the best surgeon possible. We have an added complication, he has Goldenhar Syndrome and with this syndrome, the nerves may not be where they are supposed to be. He can not get an MRI since he has a Cochlear Implant. Has anyone had any experience with this or know of anyone that had this type of surgery without an MRI?

Is your son able to have a CT scan instead of an MRI. I think that while an MRI shows more of what the surgeon wants to see, a CT scan might be better than nothing (and worth asking about) since he cant have the MRI due to his implants.
    Good luck with his surgery. Hope all goes well.
    Mandy

Comment

My daughter's doctor did not do an MRI and she was fused from t4 to L3.

Cheryl M
      NCM

Comment

Thank you for the reply. He can have a CT scan, I will ask about it.

Comment

They might suggest a CT myelogram - it gives a better detail images the spinal cord/nerves. It used to be done a lot more often before MRIs came into the picture.

I know there's a way for CI wearers to get MRIs. They remove the magnet from the implant and use self-adhesive magnets instead, and that makes it safe upto 1.5 tesla magnets. I'm not 100% sure about exactly how it works though... or if this option applies to specific brand/type of CIs.
          30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
          2005 - T50, L31
          bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
          2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
          Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I just found this info:

http://www.healthyhearing.com/librar...uestion_id=123

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Great Info

Thank you for that info on the MRI. I was not aware of this, it is most helpful. I will look into this

Comment

Working...
              X