Dr. Boachie on Discovery Channel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Boachie on Discovery Channel!

There was a show on Discovery Channel last night 9-10pm EST featuring Dr. Boachie and 2 surgeries that he performed on children/adolescents. The show was called "Surgery saved my life" and they showed a lot of the details of the surgeries, more than I thought they would.

I felt like I knew him because so many of you here have had him for your surgeon. It was really neat to watch him work and to see how happy and proud he was of his work. Those of you who have had the pleasure of working with him are very lucky! Although I have to say that my surgeon is amazing too...

Thanks for letting us know, Heidi!!

I just read that it will be on again on December 23rd at 9 pm, so everyone set your tivos!!

Lesly

PS- Heidi, do you think it would be a good idea for me to watch this a week before my surgery, or is it too graphic?

Comment

I would not recommend watching this before your surgery. It showed a lot of the manipulation that is done during the surgery and it might make you nervous to see what your body is put through while you are on the table.

I love all things medical and watch medical shows at least once a day and I don't think I would watch this before surgery. Having been through this surgery already however, I can watch it and be amazed at what I and my body went through during surgery and recovery, but I think seeing it beforehand would cause nervousness and anxiety.

I say tape it and if you're curious, watch it many months after your surgery. It made me feel like I accomplished something truly incredible!

Comment

There's another thread about this program in the Physican Feedback section of the forum. I did watch this show last night and had to turn it off when they were slicing and dicing the 15-year-old boy. I actually started shaking and my husband said, "Umm....do you think it's helping you in any way to watch this??" I had to laugh. Then I lay awake most of the night....

BUT...I'm so happy that this forum led me to Dr. Boachie. I have complete faith in his abilities. I figure if he can operate on those severe cases, he can probably do my operation with his eyes closed...!!!
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris- I feel the same way, he has so much experience in really difficult cases and that makes me feel better. I am 10 days from surgery and I did watch the whole show- I kept thinking that I should turn it off but I didn't. Overall it just made me more confident in his abilities. I thank God that He led me to him!
          Cathie

Comment

I am so sorry I missed that show. I don't want to miss it the next time.

And I have to agree with Chris, I don't think I could of watched it right before my surgery or even a few months after.

My youngest sister had a breast reduction a few years ago, and I had watched the surgery on the DHC, and I did not want her to watch it before she had it done.

Shari

Comment

Discovery channel show

Thanks Heidi for letting us know about the program. I am going to tape it on the 23rd. Now I am so curious to see what the Dr. Boachie is like during the surgery...
              By the way, how is your pregnancy going? My baby is now 18 pounds and man,oh man, I cannot wait until I don't have to lift her anymore!

Heather
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Heather! My pregnancy is going really well. My back feels great! I have to get a level 2 ultrasound on Friday as my AFP test came back positive for a risk of neural tube defect which is an indicator for Spina Bifida or issues with the placenta. We'll know more Friday morning. Please send positive thoughts our way!

Comment

I watched the documentary and the surgery procedures did not turn me away or make me squeamish at all. I actually found watching a face lift procedure where the entire face is lifted from one's head more repulsive and did have to turn away from that one.

What moved me though is Dr. Boachie himself. This man is truly remarkable in the unselfish rendering of his time and talent in the service of others. He is blessed and a blessing to all who have the good fortune of being in his presence.

Chris

Comment

Dr. Boachie on Discovery

Hello. I just checked the Discovery Channel website and the episode of Extreme Surgery with Dr. Boachie was originally supposed to be on tonight at 9pm, but now the website says it's not on until Jan 7th at 3:00pm and again Jan 18th at 1:00pm. I guess tv listings change. I've been waiting to see this, and now have to wait another few weeks. Just thought I'd send this update in case anyone else wanted to watch it...
                    Heather
                    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                    Anterior/posterior surgery
                    Fused T-11 to L-5
                    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Heather & all,
                      I was going to mention it here for everyone to watch that gets Discovery Channel. But I also noticed it was not listed for tonight...originally back a few weeks ,it was supposed to air tonight....I even checked with FOCOS & they said tonight at 9pm EST...so I'll tune in & check, I guess.. ??? Ly

Comment

Does this show a scoliosis correction surgery beginning to end?
                        Age 54, 30C-50T-40L
                        western suburbs of Chicago

Comment

Working...
                        X