Motorcycle Rider Needs Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Rider Needs Surgery

My son was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 7. He is now 14 and his curvature has progressed to 53 degrees. The doctor said he needs surgery. He sleeps, eats and breathes motocross. I am concerned that after the surgery he will not be able to ride. Is there anyone out there that rides that has had the surgery. I would appreciate any guidance.
    Last edited by NMcCarren; 11-30-2006, 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling error

sorry, I don't do motorcross, but I do mountain bike, and I have had no complications, even when flying over the handlebars. I do usually wear a camelbak (water back pack) that cushions the fall if I am landing on my back.
    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

I would guess that your son won't even be allowed to touch a motorcycle for a year after surgery. After that, I would ask his doctor.

My daughter will be two years post-op on Thursday and she loves to ride 4-wheelers. Her doctor wouldn't allow her to be on them for a full year, but now, she rides just as much as she did before surgery without problems. I worried in the beginning that the bouncing around would hurt, but it hasn't bothered her at all. Good luck.

I'm not sure where in PA you live, but my daughter and I run a Scoliosis Support Group that meets in Hershey. If it's something you'd be interested in, feel free to contact me at the e-mail address below.

Mary Lou
      Last edited by Snoopy; 12-04-2006, 12:50 PM.
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
      X