Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second opinion

Hi Friends,

Well today I went for a second opinion, just to make myself more insane.....The doctor was well known in NYC. I felt that his office staff was horrible.....but thats not the point....He did tell me that he wanted to do pain injections ......and he wanted to see if the pain got better....The other doctor wants to do surgery , so I guess I need a third opinion
    My scoli is just going to get worse and my pain is unbarable now...the doctors really scare you into this....you have to make the descision to have surgery they can't tell you...why ?
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

The doctor should be able to tell you why. When my parents were told I had to have surgery it was because my curves were getting worse by the week. My future was cloudy at best and because kyphosis cancause pressure on the heart and lungs it was likly that my life would be cut short. So the options were very clear.

This is what I would do. Consider the pain injections. That might control the pain you have for now. Then find another doctor to see. If you were in Colorado I'd send you to ny orthopedist Dr. Tomas Lowe. He is very active in finding new ways of treating scoliosis and other back problems. He also explains the whys and how comes! You need a doctor like that. Ask questions and demand answers. If they say surgery ask for a specific why. If they say wait again get a specific why. If they don't offer, then demand. I've learned that sometimes that is necessary. As long as you are uncomfortable do not go ahead with the surgery.

I hope this gives you another point of view!

Comment

i have a 80 degree curve and will have to have an operation on july and i am really nervous but it is nothing to be worried about
      it will turn out ok
      Ben Thrower

Comment

second opinion

I read your post and saw that you had gone to a dr. in NY, i live in New York and was wondering if you could tell me what dr. you went to. Thanks
        Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I saw Dr. Micheal Neuwirth at Union Square , Beth Isreal SOuth..........I also got a second opinion with Dr. Boachie-Ajei at Hospial for special surgery...

All are excellent...I'm seeing a third Dr. Jean Farcy NYU
          I learn from each oppoinment...also the office staff is just as important in choosing an excellent doctor.

I think I going with Neuwirth,

connie
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

we are all in this together, I am going for surgery on April 29th first thing in the morning. I have had dreams all kinds of crazy things. Even the Kill Bill wedding scene at the operating table!! And i haven't been sleeping well with all of the nervous thoughts. Thats when i said this is getting rediculous. Everyday I tell myself it will be over in 3 to 4 hours and my quality of life will be better. I think what gives me comfort next to prayer is that my surgeon told me that he performs hundreds of back surgeries a year. When I think about it I say this is easy for him and even though i see this as a major ordeal he sees me as just another patient. That sounds weird and insensitive, but on my job i handle thousands of accounts each day. And I do my best with each and everyone of them, going beyond expectations to make sure everything is right. I expect him to do the same in his line of work. I won't be surprised if i turn into a cry baby right before they put me to sleep. But I am going to pray for my doctor and staff and know that I am in good hands and that the angles i have arround me (and the extra ones i asked God for) won't let anything bad happen to me. When i awake i will have a few months off from work and im going to try to heal fast so i can enjoy the time off.

Comment

nerves do that to dreams alright! You're doing a great job at handling the pre surgery nerves though! In my experience the orderly that takes you down to the operating room is usually very cheerful and that helps you relax. Your life really will be much better for this, I know mine is! Good luck, and I'll add you to my prayers!

Comment

dr in ny

hi connie
                thanks so much for writing me back. A friend of mine's son had back surgery which did not go so well he had some problems after and had to have another surgery, which dr. neuwirth did the second surgery and it went great. My friend said he is excellent. I heard he did surgery on gloria estafan. I have read his books also. My daughter may need surgery and our dr. who is dr. raggio performs the surgery with dr. boachie which i haven't met yet, but if she does need surgery i will be meeting with him. I just spoke with someone who's daughter had surgery with dr. boachie and she had only good things to say about him. They even flew in from georgia to use him. Could you tell me anything more about what you thought of him and dr. neuwirth, because i would like to see neuwirth for a second opinion if it comes down to surgery.

write back if you get a chance. thanks
                jennifer

Comment

dr. in ny

connie,
                  one other question if you don't mind, which dr.'s office staff were you referring to when you wrote that they were horrible?

jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

Everyone has different expectation when they meet surgeons.
                    I only heard excellent things about Dr. Boachie-Adjei...my sister and I noticed office personnel not behaving in a professional manner. I spoke to the doctor about this and he asked me to write an email explaining circumstances...which is wonderful at least he is willing to make changes with his office staff.

I got a completely different opinion with Dr. Boachie-Adjei than from Dr, Michael Nuewirth, so now I need a third opinion.
                    If you 'd like to Email me I'll give you more infor,but you need to see him and make your own descision.

spincon58@hotmail.com
                    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                    fused T4 -L3
                    Hip graft
                    Grown 1 1/2 inches
                    25/o upper T 15/o
                    53/o T 15/o
                    37/o L 6/o
                    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                    New York City

August 6, 2004
                    Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

Joybell4444- I want to wish you the best of luck. I am getting surgery in July. How are you able to handle it so well? I am so nervous and scared about it. Its been about a month since I found out and I think that I am able to handle it but everyonce in awhile I start breaking down into tears. I am glad that my boyfriend is so supportive and tells me not to be nervous but I cannot help it. I try to think positive because he is a great doctor (he performed back surgery for my bf's ffather and he broke his back in 3 places. He was the 3rd person to get this type of surgery that he performed. The other 2 people never walked again after the surgery but my bf's father is able to do anyhing he wants. He works 2 jobs, plays golf, basketball, played baseball with my bf, etc..) so as you can see I trust this doctor. He does the scoliosis surgery all day long on Tuesdays and Thursdays every week and a Monday or Wednesday every week. I've heard nothing but good things about him but I still consistently worry. Please send me an email before your surgery and when you get better to let me know how you are doing. I wish you all the luck and you will be in my prayers too!!!

Connie- you should get a third opinion. I got a second opinion and the dr only agreed with my original dr because I have problems breathing since my spine has twisted around and the same as my rib cage. So when I lay down I breath so heavily. My bf use to get so nervous when we first moved in together because he did not know the extent to my scoliosis. He understand though because he also has it. Well to get back on topic...the 2nd dr. wants to see if she can help fix my back before I get the surgery but I'm just going to get the surgery. As a child I went to Shriners Hospital in Philly. They always told me once my curve got to 50 degrees then I would have to get surgery. (i also had many dr.'s tell me that so I believe them) So when the dr. told me that my curve has reached 56 degrees and is 99% sure that it will progressivly get worse if I don't get the surgery. Knowing how I am, I will still go the a 3rd dr. just to see what they say just to make sure. But I hope you find the answers that you are looking for. Keep me posted on how everything goes. My email is kristinamarie04@hotmail.com

Kristina

Comment

Hi Kristina...

If you have breathing problems, you might want to think about being seen by a pulmonologist prior to your surgery. Scoliosis rarely has any real impact on pulmonary function until a thoracic curve exceeds 100 degrees. It's possible that you have an entirely separate problem that could have a negative impact on the outcome of your spine surgery.

Good luck!

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                        X