got a date for my operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a date for my operation

i have got a date for my operation but have to wait now until july to get it done what is the operation like someone please tell me
    i will be very grateful thanks
    Ben Thrower

Surgery experience

There are several types of surgery for scoliosis, so I'll tell you about mine. When I was 13 my doc found I had scoliosis and kyphosis (hunch back). A week later I went to a surgeon and the curves were already worse so they decided on surgery. My surgery was done in July too!!

Because of the kyphosis I had 2 surgeries. The 1st was through my right side. They took some bone from my hip and one rib so the could "pack" the spine. That way it could heal into one bone, which is called fusion. he also cut the ligament infront of my spine because it was so short. The 2nd surgery was a week later. They went through my back along the spine and put the herrington rods in. The rods are held on by special clamps.

Right after surgery you go to recovery. Waking up was scary but the nurses reassure you right a way! Then you have to go to ICU for a day or two. The doc wants you watched very closely at first in case something comes up Then you go to your own room. At first you will have a cathetor put in so you won't have the urge to go bathroom. That's done when your asleep. They turn you every 2 hours so you won't get sores. Turning hurts at first, but the pain meds help alot. You have a lot of monitors on you, they keeptrack of your heart rate and oxygen levels and other things.

Once you are up and moving they remove the cathetor and you cangobathroom normal again. They teach you how to roll over and sit up and make sure you can go up and down stairs. With my sureries I was in the hospital 3 1/2 weeks.. But with only one surgery you are in the hospital about 1 1/2 weeks. Mine was longer because of the 2nd surgery.

The 1st month is hard but then it gets better. I was a big baby about pain so it was very hard on me. Other patients are braver and can take more pain then I did and have an easy time. You will be restricted as to what you can do, but by the time a year was over I was just about normal!!

When you go back to school the doc will probably want you to use a backpack with wheels at first. The doc will explain how much weight you can carry and when.

You will have a lot to get used to after surgery. Being straight is weird at first. You will also have bend at the hips. I call it hingeing! You won't be allowed to reach for things or bend over and grab things from the floor at first. But that lasts only about a month maybe 2. You will also have to do special excercises. the excercises are important part of healing and you should do them, even when you feel stubborn. Your parents will be worriedand act very protective for a while, but they'll relax in time. They don't mean to treat you as a baby, they just want to make everything better. Surgery is hard on the parents too.

I hope I answered a few questions, if I can answer anymore let me know!!

Comment

yes it did thanks for your help
      Ben Thrower

Comment

Working...
      X