Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going on 3 wks post op

Hi everyone!

things seem to be going well. I have started to noticed that my hips ache a lot more often than I thought thet would...the bone graft I guess. I ventured out today ...a short trip to walmart...just for a change of scenery...it was nice but it completely wiped me out. We went early this morning around 930 or so ..hoping to miss some of the crowd. We got home around 11 and I spend the rest of the day sleeping. I think I will wait awhile to tackle that again.

When did you guys start doing things like driving again. I know you have to wait till the pain meds are less and such and I am still have right much pain with sitting for any length of time so I know its not going to be very soon for me...but I was just wondering what the average was.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes..I hope everyone is doing well and I have you all as a group in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow!

You are making great progress to go out even with the pain!

I drove last week for the first time at 5 weeks post-op from the scoli surgery but I was only 2 weeks post op from the infection clean-up surgery. I cut the pain meds way down and got the doctor's ok.

Joan

Comment

I drove at 8 weeks. I had a lot of trouble sitting up after my surgery. Sitting was extremely uncomfortable. I am able to sit for longer periods now and I still watch the distance that I drive. Applause to you for going out so soon. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and one in rehab. Keep up the good work and don't let it get you down when you get tired. I am feeling much better and doing much more but I still get tired and have to stop and lay down.
      surgery 9/06
      Rothman institute

Comment

Hey fiddlestix,

Good to hear that you're venturing out. I'm just past 8 weeks post-op. I drove a week ago on the highway, but it's difficult to look back and check my blind spots. I was lucky and had someone in the car with me, otherwise I could have been in trouble. My first shopping experience was tiresome about 3 weeks post-op. Since then, I can handle it WAY better.

I'm back to work now on a part-time basis. In the beginning it was hard to sit for a long period of time (yeah, 4 hours was long), but things slowly get better as your body starts to adjust to the new demands. This will be my 3rd week back to work (first full week) so I'll see how I do. I'm still on pain meds, but I'm trying to cut those out of my diet.

I think you just need to let your body tell you when you're ready for changes in your schedule. This was a huge surgery (as I keep telling myself), and it needs time to heal. Don't push yourself too hard and remember to relax if you're hurting or you need a break. Good luck!

Comment

Great info from Fiddlestix and Nharalamus

Thanks for the summary from fiddlestix and nharalamos. Your progess gives me something to compare to my own progress.

Nharalamos - when you say part time are you going half day every day or full day a few days a week? Do you drive yourself to work? How far is the commute?

thanks,
          joan

Comment

Hi Joan & all,

I'm going 1/2 days every day of the week. I'm not driving myself at this point. My parents drive me down in their van and my husband or brother pick me up. My commute is about 30 minutes each way. Even that wears me out. The city of Cincinnati needs to patch some of the pot holes - as they are abusing my back...

I will eventually start riding the bus to and from downtown, as I did prior to surgery, but I run the risk of not finding a seat and I'm not ready to stand for that kind of cummute.

Comment

Working...
            X