I Drove Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Drove Today

Well, I had a driving emergency this morning at 5:00 am... no one wanted to take me to the sales at Kohl's so I drove myself! I am almost six weeks post op and the doctors had already said I could drive if I weaned down on my pain meds and felt alert enough. So, my walker with a seat and I set out and did really well. The store is in the nieghborhood so it was a short jaunt. I used my walker to get around the store and sat on my seat while waiting on the very long line to the cashier. Did some damage to the checking account but after a long morning nap I am doing fine.

Is driving after 5 to 6 weeks typical? I did not have to wear a brace post-op so I am somewhat flexible.

Joan

Joan you made me laugh out loud! That was an emergency........ I was driving at about 4 weeks. Most seem to try a bit here and there when they are coherent enough to do so at around 5-6 weeks. Getting off the wacky pain meds to drive is tougher then the driving. I read the ads and thought about going but slept in instead, I was beat. My husband who NEVER goes out shopping in crowds actually went! I couldn't believe it. I applaud you, you are well on your way in your recovery if you went shopping today! Best wishes.

Comment

Hi Joan,

I just have to say that you have to be in many ways, a "driving" force in anything you do!!! (No punn intended). You're a machine. I am so impressed!!! Then my next comment is, WOW!!! I am in awe of everything you have accomplished so soon after what you have gone through!!!

Your amazing,
      Shari

Comment

Congrats. It feels so good to be able to drive yourself. You couldn't have paid me a million bucks to go shopping on thurs or fri. I am in retail so I am usually in the store by 4 in the morning. It will probably be my only thanksgiving and black friday off in my life. I am so glad to hear you are doing this well.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Thanks, guys! I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Since I work in public education, I have off through the first of the year. I am starting to now wonder about going back to work and whether I need to start out part-time and ease into it.

Joan

Comment

Joan-that is really great! I was around 6 weeks when I drove for the first time...it is exciting to finally get out on your own! I really did'nt go shopping(besides the grocery store) till recently..probably could have physically but just did'nt feel like it! Congrats to you on your recovery! Ly

Comment

Glad you had a good time shopping! Good for you! You are lucky you are in the education field. Most school districts are more than willing to work with you with regards to your return to work. I would start back part time, only because of my own experience, but everyone is different. Better to start out slowly than to overdo it.

Comment

Going back to work

Thanks for your reply! I am thinking of starting back on a Tuesday - Thursday basis and then MWF and then full time. I have enough sick leave to cover that and I don't want to set myself back by going to fast.

Joan

Comment

Joan, I teach school too.... I had my surgery in October last year, was out until the return of students in January.... Thankfully my sick leave coincided with a week of fall break, a week off at Thanksgiving, and 2 weeks of Christmas break. Instead of needing 3 months of sick leave, i really only used 2 months worth... which worked out very well.

I think i was a bit too fiesty on my return tho, because i came back full force... Drove myself 25 miles each way, walked all over school, and stood to do lessons all day... by the time i got home i was weak and exhausted. So beginning part-time instead of full-time is a good idea. Even though it is not hard physical work,,, the tension and constant supervision of students does wear you out, as well as the getting dressed and driving to and fro.

Comment

post-op questions

Joan -
                    I'm scheduled for my surgery next week. I'm in Texas too! My doctor is Dr. Shelokov. He has told me that I will probably be able to start going back to work part-time 6 to 8 weeks after my surgery. I'm a secretary working for a school district in one of the central offices, so I sit at a computer most of the time. I think it might help me, when I do begin to go back, to be able to lie down at work for a few minutes if I get tired. We managed to get a nurse's cot in our office for me to use. I have no idea how tired I really will be, but right now everything makes me tired. Do you think the nurse's cot is a good idea or just a waste of space?

Comment

Howdy Snowdal!

Thanks for the post! I am almost 6-weeks post-op from my first surgery. I got an infection in the hospital and had to have the whole incision opened up two weeks after the first surgery. So, I am only four weeks post -op from that.

I do get tired and sore after any activity or being up for more than an hour. Lying down is helpful but I am very picky about where I lie down. My bed has to be just set up right with a pillow on my back and a pillow on my front and a small pillow between my knees. I am not sure if a cot would meet my needs but it may be helpful to get off your feet. I short nap does help revive me when really tired. I work in central office in Austin. From what people have said, I will plan to go back very slowly. I have plenty of sick leave after thirty years of hardly ever being absent. I am retiring in June so, I can use it while I have it.

Keep me posted on your surgery. I wrote a long post a few days ago to a person that was really stressed about her surgery and I listed all the things I did to prepare and keep my mind focused prior to my surgery. I am glad I did each preparation - they all helped me in the past six weeks. Do you live alone? My sisters each stayed with me for a week and my friends were so helpful. I live alone with my 13 year old daughter and I could not have made it without the help of everyone.

Take care.
                      Joan

Comment

Thanks Joan

Thanks for your reply. My husband and I have three daughters, one of them still at home - almost 16 and in high school. The college coed will be home for Christmas and my oldest lives nearby. Between them and my husband I think I'll be OK. After everyone goes back to school in January I think I can get my sister or some friends to come stay with me if I think I need it.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't worked full-time for very long so I don't have very many days to take off. That's part of the reason that I scheduled it now; to take advantage of the long Winter Break.

I was planning on taking a pillow and blanket up to the office for my "cot" - it's really more like a small twin bed - but I'll definitely take at least an extra pillow or two for under my knees or whereever it feels most comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hope your recovery goes well. Keep posting so I can follow your recovery and sort of know what to expect - although I don't expect to have an infection! I hope not anyway!

Thanks again!

Snowdal (Susan)

Comment

Working...
                        X