One Breast Smaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Breast Smaller

Hi Guys, i was just wondering, i know that if not all, the majority of females with scoliosis has one breast smaller than the other, i just want to know if surgery helps in any way to make them more even. Knowing would be really helpful. Thanks again.

Hi Chayil...

I don't think scoliosis surgery does much, if anything, to even out breast size. The spine is derotated during surgery, so that may bring one side more forward.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Actually, every woman has uneven breasts to some degree, scoliosis has nothing to do with it. In my case, my right breast became even smaller after my sugery, most likely due to my thorocotomy.

Comment

Hi Heidi...

Actually, it can have a correlation to scoliosis:

Spine. 1986 Sep;11(7):749-52. Links
        The symmetry of the breasts in normal and scoliotic girls.

* Normelli H,
        * Sevastik JA,
        * Ljung G,
        * Jonsson-Soderstrom AM.

Mammary asymmetry was estimated visually by different investigators in three series of scoliotic girls and in three control groups. The breasts of each girl were classified as being equal in size or as being obviously different in size, note being made of which breast was the larger. Breast asymmetry was significantly more common among the scoliotic than the normal girls. Moreover, the left breast was significantly more often larger in the scoliotic series of girls. On the other hand, there was no significant difference in the frequency of breast asymmetry in respect of the classifications according to curve type (right convex thoracic vs. other types) and to Cobb angle (35 degrees or less vs. more than 35 degrees).

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Put me down for left breast larger - my whole life. Haven't really determined if surgery improved the situation. Weight loss makes everything different.

Joan

Comment

thats me too!

definitely left breast bigger here too and unfortunately surgery did not help that. oh well!
            Stephanie
            T11 to L3
            1 rib removed
            June 5, 2006

Comment

If the rib cage in is pushed out on one side can that make one side bigger? Can the rib cage be rotated back during surgery and make the even?

Sue

Comment

Thanks for the additional information Linda. I'm sure that scoliosis does affect the size, but what I really was trying to say (and said poorly) is that even if you don't have scoliosis, your breasts are not naturally even.

Comment

Hi Guys thanks for the info, it really helped. The question was always in my mind about if the surgery would help them even up or not. I know that no one is perfect but scoliosis really make you aware of how uneven things can get, well thanks again guys.

Comment

Wow! Now that's what I call interesting. Put me in the left breast is bigger category...

Comment

Dear Chayil, after surgery my smaller breast came to almost the same line as the other.

Originally posted by Chayil
                      Hi Guys, i was just wondering, i know that if not all, the majority of females with scoliosis has one breast smaller than the other, i just want to know if surgery helps in any way to make them more even. Knowing would be really helpful. Thanks again.

Comment

Hey Majo, thats great to hear, well at least now i know there is hope (lol) my left breast is definitely bigger than my right and i was hoping that surgery would help in that area as well. I guess i will have to wait and see, but i hope i am as blessed as you.

Comment

I always thought it was normal to have two different size breasts! Maybe there is a correlation between breast size and scoliosis, but I think most women are somewhat lop-sided regardless of the condition of their spine!

Comment

Hello all!

Wow, I have not posted in a long time! I still read the board sometimes, but I don't always reply, if I have no good input

I saw this topic and had to post, however. I had my surgery mid-puberty, and ended up with a 1 1/2 cup size difference. It's been such a huge issue for me, unfortunately. I feel like everyone can see it and even if they can't, I can and I hate it. I already have larger breasts which I have never felt "suited me"... I don't show them off or flaunt them, and if I had the money, I'd have them reduced in a split second. But to have that much of a difference just makes it that much worse, for me. I just wanted to share that because it's never nice to feel uncomfortable in your own skin, but sometimes knowing that others have the same problem or feel the same way helps make things a bit easier.

And yes, while most (if not all) women have a slight difference in their breasts sizes, scoliosis can absolutly make it much worse and much more pronounced. In my case, how could it not? I was just growing breasts while my spine was growing more and more crooked! Best of luck to all.

P.S. my left is the larger too! Is there a pattern here???
                            Jen
                            24/NY
                            Harrington rod placement & fusions
                            11/2/94
                            60T, 35L

Comment

Breast Augmentation covered by insurance?

I was just throwing out a thought. I am planning on having surgery in February. Does anyone know or think that getting our breasts evened out with saline implants could be covered by insurance? I mean if having your breasts rebuilt after a masectomy is covered by insurance, I wonder if this might be covered since it is a deformity???

Thanks,

Kkong

Comment

Working...
                              X