PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel Show

amae28
11-23-2006, 10:40 PM
I saw a commericial today in the midst of the Thanksgiving extravaganza for a show next thursday night at 9 eastern, 8 central (US time) called "Surgery Saved My Life: Extreme Spine Surgery" on the Discovery Channel. The commercial looked to me to be dealing with two younger children with very severe cases of scoliosis... I couldn't tell if it was congenital or not in the little boy and girl, maybe one of each... It looked very interesting, and I'm going to make a point to watch it. I just thought I'd let you all know! If you don't live in the US, look up on the discovery channel website for a time listing.

Abbie

lelc2002@yahoo
11-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Yes do tune in 8pm/discovery channel this Thursday night....it's my Dr. on tv! & do think of giving to FOCOS Foundation while your at it.....Ly :) :) :)

fused T-11 to L-5//Dr. Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYCity

gayle
11-24-2006, 04:53 PM
was it yesterday on thanksgiving it was on ?or next thursday?

lelc2002@yahoo
11-24-2006, 08:14 PM
next Thursday/Nov. 30th

amae28
11-25-2006, 04:52 PM
oh it is dr. boachie?? I am really excited to see this, lol... I am taking my chemistry exam a day early because of it. I told my professor i have a "scheduling conflict", haha, he doesn't need to know it's for a tv show!

Andy2010
11-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I saw the commercial and to me it looks like the boy has severe kyphosis.

lelc2002@yahoo
11-26-2006, 05:38 PM
I was told by my sister that it is on 9pm rather than 8pm :) on discovery channel...Ly

amae28
11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
yeah it's on 9 pm eastern time... for me it's 8 because I live in kansas

xLinda
12-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone here knows if this will be on in Canada? I see that there will be a re-run on the discovery site. I really want to watch it. :P

Thanks.

LindaRacine
12-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Linda...

Do you get the Discovery Channel? I don't see a separate schedule for Canada, so I'm guessing that you'll either get it at the same time as the appropriate US time zone (Thursday 9PM in ET/PT) or you won't get it at all.

Regards,
Linda

lelc2002@yahoo
12-04-2006, 08:08 AM
From the FOCOS website, it looks like it will air again Dec. 23rd/Dr. Boachie.... It is the start of a series with other medical issues/Doctors that will come after....

cooper43
02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi! I am new to the forum. Here is my story. I had my first surgery on 10/31/1978, age 14. Harrington rod with fusion. The bottom hook dislodged the day before I was to go home. 1 month in the hospital back then. I had to do it all over again. Second surgery was the day before Thanksgiving that same year.

Everything was pretty great after that and I returned to all of my normal activities over time. Drum major, soccer, drill guard, cheer leading. About two years post-op I had xrays for follow up and the rod had broken. We took the watch and wait approach and nothing changed for a long time, many years. I had two children. The first without any problem and the second with sciatic pain.

I have had several problems over the last few years including, back pain, numbness in the left foot on and off, and loss of one full inch in height. So far I have tried to not let it effect what I do, but I do pay for it afterwards. These problems lead me to seek some specialty care for scoliosis. I live in rural uptate NY. I have recently seen Dr. Richard Tallerico at SUNY Upstate Medical Center. He completed his fellowship last year. Surgery has been suggested due to failed fusion in the lower lumbar to S1, DJD, and arthritis.

I always thought that I was "fixed" after the surgery and never thought that I would be looking at another back surgery.

To finish my story up, I am contemplating a second opinion with Dr. Boachie. I watched his Discovery Channel program and was impressed by him. Just getting back into the medical realm of scoliosis. My husband is very supportive and is okay with me pursuing whatever care I feel I need. NYC is a 4 hour trip and Dr. Boachie is costly too. I think it will be worth it.

Thanks for listening. Connie

CHRIS WBS
02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Connie,

Unfortunately, surgery does not cure scoliosis. At best, it can manage the condition. And for those of us who have never had surgery, this forum has been quite a learning experience. Even with the newer instrumentation and techniques being used today, there is no guarantee that one surgery will fix things permanently.

You are very fortunate though if you can manage a consult with Dr. Boachie.

I wish you all the best,

Chris

Sherie
02-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Just a reminder, the show is broadcasting tonight Feb. 11, 8pm ET.

cooper43
02-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Chris,

I realize that there are no guarantees in life. I was a naive 14 year old, but have managed to live many years without any/many symptoms. I live in a very rural area where I don't know of anyone else who has scoliosis. The mental model worked. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.
Now I have to deal with it again. I wasn't quite ready. Cut some slack.

I'm not sure this forum is for me after putting my first posting out there. I guess I expected something a little different. See ya.

lelc2002@yahoo
02-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Connie----do not get discouraged! This forum has been a great support system for me thru my surgery. I had anterior/posterior surgery w/ Dr. Boachie last August. I Honestly thank god every morning that I was guided to this wonderful surgeon. I had a huge curve of 95 thorocolumbar, that he was able to reduce to about 60....Although there has been ups & downs thru this recovery, I am much better off healthwise & now I can function better... I had major digestion issues prior to surgery....now they are gone.....plus he got rid of my ugly back-hump which has made me feel like a new woman!!!
If you can manage to do the drive to see him, it is worth it, believe me! I can also give you info on where to stay ...would advise you to stay over with that drive.......it will be worth it to you, believe me.....he's my hero!
http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
about 6 mos post-op
ps. the hospital for special surgery has a hotel connected--the bel aire, where I stayed...very nice & right by his office.....pm/email me if you need more info...ly :)

cooper43
02-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Thank you Lynn. I was a bit discouraged. I have been very lucky. I have not let my scoliosis stop me from doing anything that I wanted to do. And I don't want to let it now. I don't have as severe a case as some of the postings that I have read. My curve is only in the lumbar and sacral region, but has increased and I have lost an inch in height. I do know that I will need to do something if I want to be able to continue to be as active as I am. I am currently still able to do most things that I want to. I just know that I will have to face the pain afterward. I haven't called Dr. Boachie's office yet to make an appointment. Do you have a sense of how long the wait is?
My brother-in-law lives just outside the city so I will have a convenient place to stay.

Thanks again!! Connie

lelc2002@yahoo
02-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Connie----You should be able to see him possibly even in March....most likely April, although he goes to Africa, probably the end of April. I go March 12th, monday....Most appointments are on Mon's or Thursdays...I'd recommend a Monday if you can get it...they see less patients on Mondays & Thursdays are crazy & expect to be there a while, lots of appmts!.....we flew in & out last visit in Dec..on a Monday @10:30...we made it to western NJ by about 1:45..great time! let me know if you need any other info...Lynne :)

cooper43
02-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Lynne,
That's a lot sooner than I thought I would be able to get in. Thanks for the great tips on appts! I am away in early April to the Grand Canyon hiking so the end of April or May would be great! I'm excited about the trip, but anxious too. I know I can do the hiking, it's just the painful aftermath of the hiking and sleeping on the ground that I'm worried about. My back definitely does not like that. :-)
I'll keep in touch! I hope your appt in March goes well!
Connie

gc10107
02-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi,
I live in England and I've seen it we were on about it on www.spinekids.com a couple of weeks ago all I can say is that is really interesting and it was with Dr Ohena Boachie from New York. :D

A User Is Me
03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi Connie,

Unfortunately, surgery does not cure scoliosis. At best, it can manage the condition. And for those of us who have never had surgery, this forum has been quite a learning experience. Even with the newer instrumentation and techniques being used today, there is no guarantee that one surgery will fix things permanently.

You are very fortunate though if you can manage a consult with Dr. Boachie.

I wish you all the best,

Chris

Dear Chris,
It seems to me you too are against the surgery like us. For weeks we have been struggling with the decision for whether we should go for the surgey or not. Our biggest concern is the long term effect after the surgery. By now we looked every possible place for the surgery alternatives and spent exhausting hours on it but as scary as this surgery is there seem to be no other way to go around it. If you know any please email me erinc777@gmail.com

CHRIS WBS
03-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I’m sorry that you misinterpreted my post, but no, I am not against this surgery. I believe it has benefited many people. However, I do think a lot of research and careful selection of surgeon and hospital are crucial to a satisfactory outcome. Everyone’s situation is unique, and clearly the younger the patient, the easier the surgery and faster the recovery. Personally, if I had a child with progressive scoliosis and had consenting opinions from several surgeons, I would proceed with surgery, because the disease will only worsen if left untreated.

Chris

S4Sarah
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Oh I saw part of that awhile ago, I really want to see it again. This kind of stuff interests me, and I have Scoliosis too.

Snoopy
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Sarah,

The last time anyone replied to this post was over two years ago! On this forum we try not to drag up old posts just to say, "oh, I saw that show" type of thing. It tends to slow down the site and wastes space.:)

Mary Lou

S4Sarah
05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I'll keep that in mind when posting. Jules told me that on Spinekids too :)

If you are having problems with your internet being slow or sites loading you may want to also consider defragging your computer, this gets rid of cookies and unecesary stored "Junk" on your computer.