Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Month check up.

Hello all!

I can not believe it's been 9 months already. I had check up x-rays taken and went in to see my surgeon. Great news I am completely fused already! My limit of lifting 20 lbs has been lifted. (I should have waited, I could have gotten a bigger turkey!) I am cleared to proceed with caution. However, I need to wait till my 1 year anniversary to do tough stuff like skiing. Spring skiing it will be, I can wait to be safe.

To those of you waiting for your surgery date to arrive I remember the fear and uncertainty very well waiting for my own surgery. But, it does seem like a long time ago. I NEVER had any thoughts of wishing I had not had my surgery post-op! I must admit there were some pretty tough days and some when I didn't even think about my back. I am so glad I did it and wish for all of you the same happiness and success I achieved. I have so much to be thankful for this thanksgiving. (I'm tearing up here...) I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving.

P.S.I feel so good I volunteered to do thanksgiving at my house for 13!

Surgery 2/22/06 49* lumbar curve now 8*
    Last edited by Suzy; 11-22-2006, 03:03 PM.

Suzy, that's so great that you're doing so well, it gives me great hope! You and I had pretty much the same degree of curvature but I had my surgery July 27, 2006. So I'm heading into my 4th month. Do you remember how you were then? We just moved so we're living out of boxes and I've been so extremely busy with unpacking, which may be the reason, but I have been in so much pain lately and the past few days have been so unmotivated to do anything. I've been so stressed, in pain, unmotivated, overwhelmed, teary, shortfused and I just can't get it together!!!! Did you ever feel like this in your recovery thus far? It's probably just because of the move and everything I'll bet, I just can't stand feeling the way I do. And I'm sure I'm driving my family insane! Any advice or similar experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much and I hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Elisha
    http://360.yahoo.com/elishadunaway
    Scoliosis diagnosed at 14, curve was 22 degrees, wore Boston brace for a couple years.
    Left lumbar curve has now progressed at age 33 to approx. 50 degrees and surgery is scheduled with Dr. Alexis Shelokov at Baylor Hospital in Plano, TX for July 27, 2006.
    pre-op curve: 50 degrees
    post-op curve:15 degrees!!

Will be praying that the Great Physician will guide all of our doctors' hands!

Comment

Elisha, MOVING??!! no wonder you hurt! Did you know bending over from the waist puts THE most stress on your lumbar spine? Hopefully you are bending at the knees. The lifting you might be doing can't help either. At 4 months out I was still only allowed to lift 10lbs at 6 months it went to 20lbs. The emotions are probably due in part to the meds as well as the stress of the move. You need to take 1/2 to 1 hour here and there during the day to lay down and rest. At 4 months I felt so good I started to over do it. Hmmm deja vu.... Remember you don't need to unpack it all at once take time to rest. The way you feel now will pass I went through it all too, most have. To add the stress of a move is just that much tougher. Hang in there it will get better. Happy T-day to you too!

Comment

To Elisha: take it easy girl, and I agree with everything Suzy said.

To Suzy: everytime I read your posts I'm amazed, now Thanksgiving dinner and the dancing in 3 inch heels, Good for you, tell us how your dinner went...

I have a question about the fusion, did your doctor see that you were fused on your Xray? I keep asking my doctor since having my non union refused and he says that he can see a lot of bone around my fusion, especially in that area(where they added BMP and some of my bone), wich is good but he says we can't know for sure just by looking at Xrays. I was wondering how yours looked.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Sweetness,

Well to answer your question about fusion........My Dr's. assist. took my x-rays to give to the Dr. as she showed me to an exam room. He came in a few minutes later and we talked about how I was feeling etc. He said my x-rays looked good and I was fused. He was very sure because when he saw the look of surprise on my face (I thought it took 12 months.) he said it again. I thought the x-rays were dark but he assured me he could see everything fine. He told me I am able to take nsaids for pain if I need to or just want to see how they work for me instead of my normal pain meds. I do take 1/2 a hydrocodone once in a while if I get too much pain from my overdoing EVERYTHING! Maybe your Dr. is just being cautious I don't know, mine was sure I'm fused

Which brings me to Thanksgiving. I was OK for the first 4 1/2 hours of food prep then I went to lay down for a bit and took a precautionary pain med as I knew from experience I was on my way to a tough night if I didn't. All went well, thanks for asking. I was surprised that when everyone left I was more tired then in pain (I guess the pill helped.) I expected to be pretty sore today but I was no stiffer then normal. Yea! I did not try to wear heels, funny thing though. Family came 25 min. earlier then expected and I never got to put my shoes on, I was barefoot all evening! Hope you had a great day with your family. I finally have my appetite back and am making up for lost time.

Comment

Thanks for replying, glad you had a good day, we didn't have Thanksgiving here in Canada but I was so jealous when I kept hearing about all the food,

My doctors are being cautious, also b/c when I had a bone scan before surgery they didn't see the non union, I guess it depends on doctors and it's ok if they're cautious I guess.

I was thinking about Brandi as you talked about making dinner, as she talked about it on her blog and the list was big, whoa!

Take it easy.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was so happy to go to my sister's house for Thksgiving! I'm just 4 mos post-op too. I'm not near ready to throw a big party or host a holiday dinner yet...I thoroughly enjoyed it at my sister's!!! So now I am getting my appetite back slowly & the weight is coming back....P.T. next week since I want to HOLD where I am now!!!
              ***You are doing great Suzy!!! Ly

Comment

Working...
              X