Raindrop Therapy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raindrop Therapy?

I was just wondering if anybody else has heard of Raindrop Therapy which is a massage technique using Gary Young's essential oils. Some massage therapists claim that this technique will significantly reduce the degree of the curve. I've had one session with a massage therapist to have this done and it's basically just like getting a massage but he uses these different types of oils in a certain sequence. They claim that scoliosis is normally caused by a virus in the spine and the oils attack the virus. I find this to be very far fetched but my mom knows a lady who claims her daughter had 4 sessions done and it almost completely corrected her curve. Just wondering if anybody else has tried this?

Also, I'm going to physio and getting massages to help reduce the pain but as an adult with a 45 degree lumbar curve, does anybody know of anything besides surgery that actually has been proven to help reduce the curve? I think I'm too old to be put in a brace (I'm 21).

Kristy,
    You are being taken advantage of . The guy is a con artist. As an adult with scoli there is no way to fix your spine WITHOUT surgery. He can rub your back with whatever he wants and it will not fix your back. If it feels good go for it, but don't listen to the BS that he is giving you. People like this guy should be ashamed of fostering false hope on to the public. If he hurts your back in any way he needs to be reported to the Better Business authorities.
    SandyC

Comment

Kristy...

Listen to Sandy.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Kristy,

I'm familiar with Raindrop Therapy. It will not have any impact on the reduction of your curve and scoliosis is not caused by a virus in the spine (as far as anyone in the medical community knows). Unfortunately you're being misled. There are bad apples in every profession, including Doctors/surgeons. If massage therapy is helping to minimize the pain then maybe find a different therapist who clearly understands the limitations of their work.

Your mom's friend's account is subject to interpretation. I wouldn't formulate any opinions without all of the facts regarding that child's scoliosis, or presumed scoliosis as the case may be.

The good news: If you're 21 years of age then, despite what others may say, there is a possibility that your curve can be reduced to some degree. You didn't clarify if the scoliosis was dertermined to be congenital or ideopathically derived, that would play a major part in the potential outcome. So the question you asked;

does anybody know of anything besides surgery that actually has been proven to help reduce the curve?
        Yes. There are several methods that claim to potentially reduce the curvature, but I will speak only of the approach that I have used personally and currently practice as a professional with proven results. Structural Integration (a.k.a. - Rolfing) and certain manually based Osteopathic Physicians have had excellent success at times in this realm. It is not a black and white issue, sometimes it works dramatically well (an Advanced Rolfer, Health Practitioner & colleage of mine in Munich, Germany recently worked with a young adult patient with a 46 degree curvature. At the end of the intitial treatment her curve was measured at 18 degrees.). Other times it has little or no effect on the degree of curvature, but may still do much in the way of reducing the chronicity of pain.

These approaches are effective due to the fact that they address the connective tissue, more specifically the fascial network, throughout the body. This fascial network surrounds everything in our bodies including bones, nerves, muscles, joints, organs, the spinal cord and brain. It is what primarily determines the orientation of our skeletal body (barring the influence of genetic abnormailites such as hemi-vertebrae, costal fusions, etc.)

It is this tissue that both orients and moves bones, bones do not wander around on their own. In the case of scoliosis this fascial network is put under enormous strain due to the minor to severe assymetrical balance of the body in relation to the force of gravity. Over time gravity will pull your spine further into its curvature if your individual system cannot compensate adequately to these forces. Specific regions of this network will thicken and and develop fibrosities to help shore up its support system. Many times this leads to chronic pain and/or dysfunction with or without any visible or obvious causes on imaging scans. Doctors examine parts, which is important. But many with scoliosis have pain without "faulty parts". What many doctors are not very good at is considering the relationships between these parts, i.e. - Can they function as the whole from which they came?. Inappropriate and non-supportive relationships (whether it be between the lumbar and thoracic curvatures or the pelvis in relation to the legs) will lead to problems in a variety of ways, as we see quite often on this forum.

I believe there are some excellent classical Osteopaths in your region (Nova Scotia). I would equally recommend a Structural Integration practitioner experienced in scoliosis. The S.I. would be my first choice. Results will always vary based on the individual as well as the practitioner, but you still have a good window of opportunity to make some positive changes, depending on your particular scoliosis. It becomes difficult to liberate scoliosis after about 25 years of age due to skeletal deformation.

If you have any questions or would like a referal, don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
        Structural

Comment

the approach that I have used personally and currently practice as a professional with proven results
          what kind of "prove" have you got??

It is not a black and white issue, sometimes it works dramatically well (an Advanced Rolfer, Health Practitioner & colleage of mine in Munich, Germany recently worked with a young adult patient with a 46 degree curvature. At the end of the intitial treatment her curve was measured at 18 degrees
          i refer to your own quote
          account is subject to interpretation. I wouldn't formulate any opinions without all of the facts regarding that child's scoliosis, or presumed scoliosis as the case may be.
          These approaches are effective
          i refer to your own quote

Unfortunately you're being misled

Comment

Gerbo,

What is wrong with you? Why do some of you insist on discrediting other peoples experiences any chance you get. We're here to help one another and offer opinions and advice based on each of our owns experiences, knowledge and background. Trustme, I'm quite the healthy skeptic myself. All of my work as a professional is firmly grounded in the anatomical sciences and tangible results. Who are you to take my own personal experienxe away from me and demand "prove"?

!. My own reversal of ideopathic scoliosis is all the proof I need. Not everyone on this forum has a "structural" scoliosis. Given my patient/practitioner confidentiality, I will not post photos of clients on the internet. When I have more time to find the link, I'll send you an article with written and photographed documentation, up to three years following the work (to show its longevity and effectiveness post-treatment)!

2. You are discrediting a highly reputable manual practitioner in Germany. He is known throughout Europe and the US for his abilities, with many types of physical dysfunctions and problems. Comment is simply unnecessary!

3. You "prove" to me that it is NOT effective, because clinical experience is a tough thing to dispute.

You reply was rediculous! Who are you to speak of something you obviously know nothing about. I'm trying to help inform peole of reputable options other than surgery, when that is possible. I'm not debunking surgery/bracing or any other necessary (and sometimes unsuccessful as well) means of treatment. It is not always about curvature correction. Many of you still have substantial curves and are in a lot of pain. So let others have an intelligent dialogue, and if you need to be so negative towards what you don't know, keep it to yourself.

structural

Comment

Gerbo,

You can find out more on structural integration by searching the web. Below are some links for you.

The work was conceived by a Dr. Ida Rolf, PhD in biochemistry and Physiology. Was a research scientist at Georgetown University and the Rockefellar Institute. Studied atomic physics in Zurich, Switzerland.... .
              She devised her manual approach to the fascial body and nervous system out of a desire to help her son who had scoliosis. She spent over forty years developing her work and it has since evolved even further over the last thirty years since her passing. There have been valid scientific studies done on the efficiacy of its effectiveness at the Univ. of Calif. and other research institutions worldwide. I invite you to do the homework yourself.

Misleading? Remember, I was very clear that the results/effectiveness varies according to the etiology of each individuals scoliosis. Sometimes it's successful at reversal, sometimes not. I'd say that's quite honest and forthright. Why don't you ever harp on the failure rates or less than 100% success rate of surgical procedures. It's obvious that they don't always prove to be a complete success. There is no reason why someone shouldn't have the opportunity to try someting before surgery, as long as it is not a life threatening situation to post-pone it. Or simply as a means to manage the pain so many of you have post-surgically. I'd say it's worth a try given the heavy pain cocktails you're on. There's no harm in trying, right?

This is a valid, anatomically sound and proven method of treatment for a variety of conditions. It's not massage therapy, chiropractics or Raindrop Therapy. I'm not making absurd claims that rubbing oil on people is going to "cure" their scoliosis!

I know you are driven by "scientific studies", but keep in mind that clinical experience and results don't need aa scientific study to validate them. Ask the peole who were effected, they are the true testaments to any type of treatment.

Happy Thanksgiving

structural

Comment

What is wrong with you
                nothing at all, was just slightly bemused that one non-conventional and scientifically unproven treatment for scoliosis was dismissed, whilst at the same time promoting another non-conventinal and scientifically unproven method

We're here to help one another and offer opinions and advice based on each of our owns experiences, knowledge and background
                ........whilst at the same time challenging each other, as to ensure that "advice" we offer is of the highest possible standard and also to ensure that patients do not blindly follow avenues which do not lead them anywhere at all

Trustme
                yeah, that's what the chiropracter said, treating my daughter, instilling hope which was totally misplaced and lead to devastating disappointments (and did she belief in herself, blimey; I get you straight darling, don't listen to those silly doctors, who don't have a clue, here, little push here, little pull there, you see, much better already!!!)

demand "prove
                you said you "had a proven method", which means there is proof I thought, so i thought you might as well share what kind of "proof" we are dealing with

My own reversal of ideopathic scoliosis is all the proof I need
                although i think it is fantastic you feel that your scoliosis has improved, I am afraid i have to refer back to your own appraisal of single cases;

account is subject to interpretation. I wouldn't formulate any opinions without all of the facts regarding that child's scoliosis, or presumed scoliosis as the case may be.

You are discrediting a highly reputable manual practitioner in Germany. He is known throughout Europe
                i live in europe, never heared of him, i have posted on german scoliosis forums, he was never mentioned....... also I am not discrediting him, just stating the obvious, one case is no evidence at all, as there can be so many confounding factors..... (as you suggested yourself earlier)

You "prove" to me that it is NOT effective, because clinical experience is a tough thing to dispute
                I can do those; you prove to me that dancing a dutch clog-dance under the full moon whilst drinking goats-urine from the skull of of one of your ancestors isn't going to work

Who are you to speak of something you obviously know nothing about
                I am only asking questions (to make sure I know something about this) and give opinions, not dissimilar to the ones you give with regards to raindrop therapy

I'm trying to help inform peole of reputable options
                reputable as in........???? (i.e. defined how???) in what way more reputable than raindroptherapy???

Happy thanksgiving too
                Last edited by gerbo; 11-25-2006, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by structural75
                  There have been valid scientific studies done on the efficiacy of its effectiveness at the Univ. of Calif. and other research institutions worldwide. I invite you to do the homework yourself.
                  Structural...

Can you give me an actual published study title? I'd very much like to read about it.

Not to fan the flames of this little debate, but attacking people is no way to get your point across. You're obviously passionate about your beliefs, but unless you keep your comments more professional, you stand little chance of turning non-believers into believers.

Not everyone on this forum has a "structural" scoliosis.
                  I believe that the vast majority of people who read these forums have structural scoliosis or have children with structural scoliosis. Functional scoliosis is relatively rare.

Who are you to speak of something you obviously know nothing about.
                  Don't underestimate the knowledge of some of the people in these forums. Many of us have spent a lot more time researching scoliosis than you.

I personally believe that you can probably help a lot of people, whether they have structural or functional scoliosis. I don't believe that you can permanently reduce structural scoliosis curves, but that doesn't mean you can't help them.

Happy Thanksgiving to you (and Gerbo too).

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I don't get it.

Why can't there be different opinions and treatments shared without people having a close mind and listening to what the person has to say.

I understand asking questions, and having doubts, but can't we keep an open mind without jumping on a person who has different approaches to share about.

Structural 75, I like reading what you have to say, and that doesn't mean I'm sure you're right and don't have any proof but it is interesting.

Have a nice day.
                    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Sweetness...

I don't think anyone would have any problem with someone with scoliosis coming here and saying they had success with a given therapy. However, when one is "selling" a therapy, then I personally believe that one should be able to provide some proof that it works. Do you think it's OK for the chiropractors who use Raindrop Therapy to come here, unchallenged, and make claims that they can cure scoliosis? If there was no debate, we'd probably all be buying every new therapy that came along.

So, you might think about whether you also have a closed mind.

--Linda

Comment

Linda & Gerbo,

Linda - now you're insulting Sweetness??? What's wrong with you people?

That was quite the artistically languide display of manipulating my posts. Do you have anyhting creative or intelligible to say yourselves?

Linda, I'm NOT "selling" anything! I certainly don't expect to personally benefit from all of this nonsense. Aren't you the professional sales person (list broker/Real estate agent)? In fact you'd be a great sales rep for pharmaceutical/technology companies. Give the accussations a rest, now your stretching things!

I've witnessed your predatory nature towards anyone who doesn't share your belief or support your opinions. You have mercilessly attacked many people on this forum... enough is enough. Who are you to decide who is legitimate and who is not! I understand your concerns, but I'm not making outlandish claims! I cleary stated that results will vary depending on the etiology of each case!!!

Scientific studies have been done on the efficiacy of S.I.. Check my website and follow the leads of the various doctors involved in the profession. I'm not doing the leg work for you, apparently your "well educated" nature makes you perfectly capable of finding 'anything' that's out there.

If either of you have more knowledge of the subject that I've brought up (S.I. as it relates to pain/scoliosis), then why are we having this debate? You would certainly know of the effectiveness of the work for chronic pain.

Gerbo - You have no place in questioning my personal results. Why in the world would I lie? I'm also not anyhting like your unethical mistrusting chiro... I have never led anyone on in my practice. In fact I have never promised anything to anyone. If treatment does not show progressive and lasting results to some extent within the first 2 or 3 visits, we discontinue. Don't ever question my integrity as a practitioner without WARRANT! If you would like, check my website and visit my "testimonials" page for others opinions. But you have ABSOLUTELY NO BASES for invalidating me or the work I've presented. Why don't you both show me a valid, unbiased study that says it doesn't work!

You both presume people guilty without evidentiary bases. What happened to being open and curious yourself. When presented with options it is all of our responsibilities to follow the leads as far as they'll take us. Neither of you have all of the facts.

This debate could go on on on with you two.

Despite all of your comments, or my comments rather pulled out of context to suit your agenda, even the studies you two present do not suggest 100% success and failure is always possible. So don't dicredit less than 100% results from other approaches.

Linda - Functional scoliosis is uncommon.... are you crazy? I see it quite often to various degrees in my practice. I could care less what some doctors biased and selective studies says. Remember these studies do not include EVERY person potentially involved in the matteers at hand. Unless you spend your days working directly with people and physical conditions, be careful about the claims YOU make as a Real Estate Agent/informed patient.

Enough of this nonsense for now....

Structural

Comment

No question... one of us needs to get a grip.

Comment

I just thought of something funny regarding Raindrop Therapy.... which by the way happens to be the title of this thread I read this a few years ago and they use special herbs and spices and massage the back as one would baste a turkey before putting it in the oven. It is Thanksgiving after all.

Originally posted by gerbo
                            I can do those; you prove to me that wailing ancient innuit songs under the full moon whilst drinking goats-urine from the skull of of one of your ancestors isn't going to work
                            I fail to see what Inuit culture has to do with the discussion

Structural75

I don't see how relevant Linda's profession is?! Has she tried to sell real-estate in these forums ????? She does have a right to question scoliosis treatments, as we all do. Yet here you are trying to convince us that your method works – perhaps instilling false hopes in a few desperate people.
                            Last edited by Celia; 11-24-2006, 12:35 PM.

Canadian eh
                            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

By the way, for the record, I don't sell real estate.

Comment

Working...
                              X