Iron before surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron before surgery?

I am having surgery in 3 weeks and my dr. said to take iron-ferrous sulfate to be specific. I went to the health food store and they said ferrous sulfate is not good for you-instead I got a different kind of iron. Just wondered if others were instructed to just take iron or a more specific kind like ferrous sulfate? Also- my stomach has been upset- I wonder if it is the iron or I am just worried? I gave blood for the 1st time last week and it made me feel awful. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Cathie

Yes, Iron can upset your stomach. It can also cause your stool to change to a darker color, which can upset people. Try an "entaric" coated Iron. That just means that the iron will dissolve in your intestines instead of your stomach.
    SandyC

Comment

They are having you take iron to build up your blood supply and help you body recover faster from giving blood. Try taking the iron on a full stomach, it helps. I had to take iron after the birth of my second daughter. I lost 40% of my blood during the delivery. Iron and sugar filled soft drinks brought my blood count back to normal in three weeks.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hey Cathy,

I'm just over 8 weeks post-op. I was instructed to take feosol (iron supplement) prior to surgery and to stop taking 2 days prior to surgery. I also gave blood, and fortunately didn't need any of it after surgery. The feosol never upset my stomach but it does make my stool look significantly darker.

Since surgery, I've continued on the vitamins that I was taking prior to surgery, the feosol, women's health vitamin, calcium and vitamin e, per my Dr. recommendations. I'll know when I can stop taking those after my 3 month post-op visit.

Good luck with your surgery!
        Nickie

Comment

Hmmmm Nickie
          I was specifically told NO vitamin E or multivitamin with E because it may cause the spine not to fuse.
          I tried to eat liver for iron and took gentle or mild iron pills
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

I am at about 2 and a half months post op and my surgeon still wants me to take the iron until I see him in January.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
            X