Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in Car - any forms of relief?

Hi there -

Has anybody successfully modified their car seats or sitting positions to avoid being uncomfortable in the car? When my low back is grumbling (from disk and sacro-illiac trouble), I find that driving aggravates my pain even more. I know that having my hips higher than my knees is the best way for me to sit, but that is almost impossible in a car...

Hoping somebody has some advice!
    Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

I know where you are coming from believe me. I got a sort of flat one side and round the other side pillow only big enough to fit in the lower part of my back and i put that behind my back and that helps when driving.
    It is like what they call a memory pillow, hope this helps.

God bless
    Lorraine.
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Hi Laura...

I drove with an inverted wedge memory foam pillow on my car seat for many years. That is, the thick part of the wedge was toward the back of the seat, giving the car seat more of a level surface.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thats the one Linda, it really helps doesnt it. I also put it behind me in the chair when watching television. Couldnt think of the name "wedge" getting a bit old and the memory is going.

Regards
        Lorraine.
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Wow ....I'm going to get one of those foam wedges for my car, my office chair and home to help with this new pain that hurts more when sitting down for a lengthy time. Thanks Linda and Lorraine!

Marilyn

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
          1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
          1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
          1977 Rods removed
          2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
          2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Back support while driving

For years I have used the McCarty's SACRO-EASE heavy duty back rest & seat support. It is made with heavy rubber supports & a carbon steel frame esp. for drivers, with 4-way adjustable backrest/lumbar support. Good luck.

http://www.sitincomfort.com/mcsabaresesu.html

Comment

Hey there,
              I get pain in the back from sitting in a car for too long and what really helps me is yoga stretching. I can only do that in order to correct my spine, because of a lung condition I have.

Comment

Working...
              X