Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacation before surgery

Hi Everyone!

My surgery is scheduled for January 3rd. My boyfriend and I decided that we want to go away somewhere for a few days before (between christmas and new years) so that I can relax, get some sun, etc.

I know that I should be careful about being in the sun, because I imagine it's not a good idea to get burned before surgery.

Is there anything else I should think about? Is there anything in particular that I'll have to do the day before? ( I was thinking about coming home on the 1st and surgery is the 3rd- is that not a good idea?)

And I'm assuming (may be a stupid question) that I shouldn't drink any alcohol on New Years Eve?

Thanks for all of your support!

Lesly

I went in for my surgery Aug. 1st this past summer...I was tan but not sun burned. I only remember having a toast with my husband the night before surgery..I had a tiny glass of wine & that was it...Though, on the weekend before surgery(mine was on a Tuesday) I had 2 Manhattans.. Believe me, I needed them & never felt so good!!!!

Comment

Hi Lesly,

Your surgery is on the 3rd, and they don't want you to drink or eat anything after midnight the night before.

By my calculations that means, have a great time doing whatever you want to do before the 2nd.

Have as much fun as you want to, party hearty, just don't get sunburned!!! And just think, you will be truly celebrating a "New Year" with many more to come.

Make it a good one,
      Shari

Comment

Hi Lesly, My husband and I took a vacation before my surgery as well. Live it up and have a great time. The trip will get your mind off your surgery for a bit. Plus, the sun will recharge you and hitting the hosp. with a bit of a tan will help your spirits post-op. Yes, a sunburn would not be a good thing, it sounds like you will be far south to have to worry about a sunburn in Dec!

Comment

Hi Lesly...

You should check with your surgeon's office for any pre-op guidelines, but I don't think you need to worry about drinking or eating what you'd like, although I don't think I'd go on a bender.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

We went away also and I had a HUGE night out with family and friends only three days before my surgery! I drank, ate, danced etc.............
            ENJOY!!
            Jenn
            37 y/o female
            60 degree lumbar
            45 degree thoracic
            1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
            T 5 to S 1
            NYC

Comment

Thank you all for the replies! This forum is great... I love having so much support from others who have been through it!
              I'm just starting to worry about everything. Surgery is 6 weeks from tomorrow! I am going to try to enjoy the holidays and not think about it, but that's easier said than done!
              Another question- I am not donating my own blood. My mom and boyfriend are donating for me. I received a prescription in the mail for iron when they thought I was donating. Should my mom and bf be taking this supplement too prior to donating? They've both donated before and never took this in the past.
              Thanks again for everything!
              Lesly

Comment

Hi Lesly-
                My surgery is Dec 12 and I have been donating- yes they need to take iron-it upset my stomach so I quit taking it the last few days and today when I went to donate I was borderline anemic and they almost did not let me give. I went to a pharmacy and got an extended release iron that is gentle on the stomach. It is probably good that you are not doing it yourself because I feel exhausted and with just a couple weeks to go I wish I did not feel this way!

Comment

Working...
                X