Frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated

Well, I was supposed to have my second opinion today with Dr. Kebaish at Johns Hopkins but found out yesterday that my appointment had to be rescheduled because he is now going to be in surgery today. No phone call which was frustrating - just a letter. They didn't have any openings until March!!!! But the receptionist felt really bad and is squeezing me in during the middle of Dec. I just want to see him so I feel confident with what I'm going to do. So, the waiting game continues. I don't know if anyone else has gone through this or not, but I actually feel pretty set that I am going to have the surgery, and I'm almost nervous that I'm going to get a second opinion that says I should wait. Argh.
    32 y/o male
    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

The only advice I will give you is with this surgery you need to be confident with your surgeon.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Brian,

I understand your frustration and feel for you!!!

I don't know how long your waiting game has gone on or what all has been involved, but it took me several years from the time I realized that I could be fixed, to finding the right doctor.

December is not that far away, even though it seems like it right now!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry to hear about your appointment, that really sucks. The life of a surgeon is crazy and I am sure these things happen all the time, it just blows when it happens to you. Having had my surgery with Dr. Kebaish, I can tell you that he is worth the wait. I could not be happier with my results, I think he is amazing. He corrected my curve from 60* to 8*!!! Looking at the big picture... the appointment is only a few weeks away and believe me, choosing the right surgeon will determine the quality of your life forever.

Good luck Brian!

Comment

Thanks Dori. I know you think very highly of Dr. K - apparently my doctor and he know each other quite well. (Go figure - I guess there are not a ton of different spinal surgeon clubs in Baltimore...) Anyway - I'm looking forward to meeting him in a few weeks. You said that you really liked him but were not thrilled with the post-op care you received from the nurses at Hopkins, right? Were they just not very helpful?? It's nice to know what to look for in post-op care in addition to a great surgeon...
          32 y/o male
          S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
          Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Hi Brian,

My experience was that the nurses were not as attentive as I would have liked. I am sure you could talk to others who have had fabulous post-op care, but my experience was less than par in my opinion. They seemed extremely busy and rushed any time they were in my room and several times I had to wait too long (in my opinion) for pain relief. I would hope that my experience was out of the ordinary and that maybe my floor was having a bad week. Johns Hopkins certainly has a fantastic reputation. My father has had two operations there and both experiences were fabulous. I am very easy to please and have an easy going attitude, but the nursing staff definately dropped the ball while I was there. It is a shame because as a whole JH is awesome, during all my visits 99% of the people I came into contact with were extremely helpful and friendly.

I would not have chosen a different surgeon knowing what I do now, because Dr. Kebaish is one of the best. However, I would have made sure I was going to be on a floor where the nurses are staff nurses and not contract nurses, it makes a difference! And I would ask the nurse to patient ratio. Good Luck Brian!

Comment

I agree and felt my nurses did as much as they could, but with changing shifts and so many patients it really wasn't their fault at all. I highly recommend hiring a private nurse or do what I did. I paid a little extra for a private room and had a family member stay with me every night! It was well worth knowing someone would always be there if I needed them.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

I have to chime in on this one. Make sure you will have a bed space in the ortho department after your surgery. I think it's very important that you receive the proper care afterwards.

You need to have nurses that know how to attend to your needs!!! It's not something you would ever think about ahead of time, I didn't, just something you expect. But it not always true. I don't intend to be negative in any way, but it happpens.

I too, would not have choosen a different surgeon, but I was placed in the heart ward, because there were no available beds in the ortho section. But in all honesty, the nursing staff in that section had no idea how to care for me!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X