did you get taller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you get taller?

I am just wondering how many people got taller after surgery (and what your before and after curves were), and how many got shorter or stayed the same. I am already 6'1'', and getting even taller just freaks me out. geeze, think of the 90% of men that would eliminate! ahh!

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Hi Abbie...

I gained about 1/2", which I eventually lost.

You're young, but a lot of us older folks have had to have discs removed. If the discs are replaced with morselized bone, one may lose some amount. If the discs are replaced with bone discs or cages, one can gain even more height.

I can imagine how daunting it is to think of being 6'1" and gaining more height, but I'd personally love to be tall. As you say, it can limit your options in terms of a partner, but it also has a lot of advantages.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I grew 3 inches but have lost two.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

With the right man, your height or your scoliosis shouldn't make any difference.

Deb

Comment

yeah you could grow to 6'3" thats really tall for a girl.

i was 5'5" before surgery now i am 5'7". i love this height!
          ~Wanda~
          40TL curve pre op
          Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
          San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
          June 7, 2006
          post op curve: 16

Comment

I gained about an inch and a half.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

I gained about an inch from my first surgery. I was 5'10, now 5'11.

Comment

Initially, I gained 2" and within a matter of a few weeks, lost 1/2" as my spine settled into place.

Comment

thanks for your replies- i really appreciate it!
                  aBbiE
                  22 yr old F,KU college student
                  Kyphoscoliosis...
                  Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                  Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                  I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                  Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                  all smiles!

Comment

Usually people want to gain height from the surgery. The average is I think about an inch or two, though this varies. As your tall anyway I don't think being 6'2'' say as opposed to 6'1'' would change how boys view you. Also you'll likely look a little bit better after surgey in terms of your posture. Most people view the surgery very postively after the event and I'm sure you'll be the same. Rereading your post it seems that you want a guy who is going to be taller than you are. Fair enough, but if rule out the guys shorter than yourself that's your choice.
                    Last edited by Frosty; 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Why height is so important to women

Why is it that most (not all) women feel that the guy needs to be taller than to woman. I had Scoliosis Surgey at age 12 and was 5'4" at once my spine was fused no more growth! The bottom line here is that if two people are happy and in love what does height have to do with it.

Comment

Hi Jay...

I don't think anyone cares all that much in terms of a few inches, but women over 6' probably feel a bit self-concious with men who are a lot shorter. I'm not sure why that same principle isn't true the other way around.

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                        X