PDA

View Full Version : any boys out there with a back brace ???

laurenlovskevin
04-19-2004, 09:25 AM
my cousin has a back brace he is a guy just wondering if any other guys had this problem

Hatty
05-03-2004, 05:29 AM
i'm not a boy but i've heard scoliosis is more common in boys so i'm sure there'll be someone!
hatty

KennaAISgirl
02-13-2007, 09:12 PM
my scolio doc. told me it hardly ever happens on guys!!! :)

lauralee76
02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
My son has scoliosis but so far does not have a brace (we will find out if he need one on Feb 21). From what I understand, scoliosis is more common in females.

Laura

Lab Dog
02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Interesting discussion! My son wears a tlso brace 23/7. His ortho says scoliosis occurs equally in boys and girls, but girls are more likely to have curve progression. I think it may seem like there's more girls than boys out there with braces, but that may be because girls are more willing to talk about what's going on with them than boys.

lil cutie
04-12-2007, 04:05 PM
yea it seems like there are like no guys who have scoliosis! :mad: i mean girls most girls have scoliosis, girls need mamograms, some girls get breast cancer,ect. :eek: Girls get everything! what do boys get? :confused: my dad has tendinites(spelled wrong) which is tennis elbo. but to my understanding i guess everyone gets that the same!(boys and girls get it equally!)

Hi i'm nicole and have had scoliosis for about 2 months! :rolleyes: i'm thirteen and am in 7th grade! :D

Balletgirl77
07-14-2007, 04:47 PM
A guy at my school wears a brace...I really really wanna tell him I have one too so we can talk about it but I'm too scared lol.

RugbyLaura
07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Katie, you must go & tell him. He'll be so pleased that you did & so will you.

JeanZ
08-27-2007, 01:35 AM
My son is ten years old now, and has had a Boston brace since he was eight years old for idiopathic scoliosis. His S-shaped curves are holding steady or slightly improving. He does wear his brace - probably an average of 20 hours/day, although he is supposed to be wearing it 23 hours/day.

wane
08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a brace and its a milwaukee brace and im a boy
WANE

laurieg6
08-29-2007, 02:14 AM
My son wore a TLSO brace for almost four years - until we were told he needed surgery. His brace became less & less comfortable as he entered his 1st adolescent growth spurt. The pads had to be reduced. We were so relieved when we were told he could stop wearing it. But if it had kept working to stop the curve progression, he definitely would have kept wearing it. I think that if it prevents the need for surgery, it's usually worth the stress of wearing it. We called him our man of steel, our superboy. Now we added bionic boy to the list of positive ways to describe his strength, courage & positive attitude about everything he's been through with scoliosis.

redhouseshelly
08-29-2007, 07:56 PM
all of the guys at my school never even heard of it. so there constantly hitting/punshing it :D