hardware weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware weight?

I have the titanium hardware. Does anyone know how much is weighs? It just would be nice to know when I step on the scale..!! It's a girl thing!

a couple of pounds max. not enough to make a difference.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi...

I had one of the nurses at UCSF weigh a typical group of stainless steel implants. It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a pound. Titanium is considerably lighter.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Titanium is about half the weight of steel.

I just weighed a fairly robust complete titanium polyaxial pedicle screw at .5 ounces.

A corresponding segment of 5mm titanium rod weighs .3 ounces.

My wife has 15 screws in two rows (anterior/lateral and posterior) so thats 13 rod segments (two end screws).

So 15 X .5 = 7.5 and 13 X .3 = 3.9 ounces totals 11.4 ounces or about 290 grams.

So there you have it, about 3/4 pound for a seven vertabrae lumbar system S1-T12.

Whoops, I forgot about any cages but they are pretty light. Plus the new bone will add some weight also.

Comment

I estimated my hardward to weigh almost 3 pounds, but I have stainless steel.
          Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
          Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
          X