Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do for work?

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering what occupations/work you do and whether it has any affect on your pain levels?
    I'm an Accountant and find that working at a desk job is really hard on my back, as I'm constantly in pain and it seems to be getting worse (I was diagnosed with a bony stress reaction on the verterbrae below my rods. This reaction is like a precurser to a stress fracture). I have exercises to help but its only a coping strategy at the moment. I need to find a new career!! Any insight into how different work situations affect you would be really appreciated. Thanks.

melissak
    T9-L4 52 degree curvature
    1992 Surgically corrected to about 19 degrees

Administration

Hey,

I'm an admin assistant and yes i get a lot of discomfort when im sitting at my desk for long periods of time and even when i have to stand up for a long period of time to photocopy my upper back starts to ache around near my top curve.

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

I have for the last 15 years worked in an elementary school library. In September I switched from that job to one in the front office. I was going home so beat up feeling from all the up and down, shelving books, standing for 45 minutes at a time. The office job is mainly sitting down, but I am up as much as I am down, neither position for any long period of time without a change.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Funny you should mention this. I've been back to work for 1 week today, working part-time and today I called in sick. I work as a technical assistant and I'm constantly on the phone and sitting at my desk in front of my PC. I get tired easily and try to get up and walk around as much as possible, but it's easy for the hours to slip by without even stretching.

I'm not quite 8 weeks post op and the past few days (although I'm still on meds) I've been waking up as though I've been sleeping in an upright position with someone standing on my head all night long. (I sleep in my regular bed flat on my back and sometimes on my side). The way I described it to my boss is that I was feeling compressed. It does get better as I start moving around, but it's very uncomfortable. My Dr. upped my muscle relaxant. I think it's just the change in my daily schedule and spending so many hours sitting on my butt - it finally caught up with me.

I wish you good luck - if you have more questions, just let me know.

Thanks,
        Nickie
        T4-L4 Fusion, September 22, 2006

Comment

This is an interesting question!!! I have always had an on my feet, physical job and found it very difficult to return to it. Now I see that a sit down job can be just as difficult.

Is there something in between???

Shari

Comment

I was a teacher, but the handing out and collecting papers, writing on the board or overhead has worn out my back above my fusion. I am no longer able to work every day. Also being on my feet has caused problems at the base of my fusion. Now all I can do is substitute teach a couple days a week and even that can be very painful.
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hi Shari and others,

There is something in between that I have seen on the news. It is called a standing work station where they put your computer, phone, etc. up on a counter so that you can stand up to use it. Some people even had a treadmill underneath it so that they could be walking and get exercise while they worked. It seems like a scoliosis person would do better with both a sitting and a standing work station, but I don't know any work situations that would accommodate both. Possibly if you worked out of your home you could set up both.

I am 3 1/2 months post-op from posterior fusion from T5 to L5. I really need to get some kind of paid employment in the near future, but not sure what yet, either. The cake decorating I formerly did is out because of all the heavy lifting and standing on your feet 10-12 hours it requires. I also did office work at times, but so far even an hour at the computer is enough to cause muscle spasms and pain. I do my housework, cooking, shopping in short spurts, then rest by sitting or lying down for a while. I still like to wear my corset style brace for support when on my feet or riding in a car.

Would also be interested in hearing how other post-op scoliosis people "successfully" went back to work after their fusion and how long it was before they were able to do a full day of office work.

Deb
              age 47
              posterior fusion 7/24/06
              50% correction
              DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT

Comment

thks for asking that Deb....I am at the same recovery as you & am thinking of some kind of p/t employment since I've nothing to go back to... it sounds like some do go back by 3 mths in some cases to office jobs..? I feel like my stamina is still low at times-- at this stage.. Ly

Comment

I was a retail manager so I did a lot of physical work. I will see my surgeon in January for evaluation I am hoping I will be able to go back to workand be able to carry out my responsibilities.
                  surgery 9/06
                  Rothman institute

Comment

I think again, it can't be predicted as to what a person will feel post op(or what will trigger pain) b/c pains are all personal.

For me, pre op I could not work sitting AT ALL, my curve and neck would hurt a LOT. That didn't matter then b/c I used to work standing, up to 10 hours a day and had no back pain, only in my heels/legs and that was caused by flat feet and needed orthotics.

Now sitting post op is easier with good support(chair and pillow) and standing is not good anymore. Alternating like it has been posted is the best, IMO, for everybody(with or without back pain). Repetetive movements are what cause many injuries.
                    Last edited by sweetness514; 11-17-2006, 04:57 PM.
                    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I have to agree that alternating standing and sitting would be great, but where can you find that???

I have tried several "work at home" and "home based businesses" over the last several months, and I have been scammed every time. I never considered myself a stupid person until now. And I have to admit it has gotten me depressed because I have spent money on them that I really didn't have to waist.

I guess I'm just having a bad day. I try to be upbeat but I've always been an independent person. Both physically and financially. It's been a real kick in the ass for me.

Sorry to complain,
                      Shari

Comment

The office job has really been much better for me than the library job. If you could get into a school, it would help. The Paraprofessionals (teacher aides, office staff, library aide) only work 7 hours. Also, there is enough flexibility in the schedule that if I need to lay down for 10 to 15 minutes it's okay to do that and it helps a lot! Everybody knows about my back and surgeries that they are all very willing to help out. Then you also have the time off at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break and the summer to recuperate! After my first surgery it was 5 months before I went back to work. Last year I had the second surgery as soon as school was let out and returned 2 weeks after school started. It was about 2 months and 3 weeks.
                        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                        Fused T2 to sacrum
                        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Not to burst a bubble, but I worked as a teacher's aide for one year and it really hurt my back. I worked in a kindergarten classroom and found the tiny desks and chairs difficult and bending over to help them sometimes or prepare the tables hurt even more. Plus, standing outside on the playground for recess duty, or standing at the copy machine for long periods of time also hurt.

I am currently a doctoral student and also teach an undergrad course. I'm glad this thread is here - I've always wondered what other people with scoliosis do! I do have pain throughout the day (one of the main reasons for surgery) and sitting at the computer/reading/seminars is sometimes difficult. I do find that I have some back pain when I teach, but I'm so involved that I don't really notice it until class is over! Anyway, that is my 2 cents - I couldn't imagine doing a job that required standing all the time (like in a coffee shop). My back wouldn't handle it.
                          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I just want to say don't be a waitress. I waitress 2 days a week (it used to be full time until I started college). Everyday is usually painful but I push myself through it.
                            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                            2003- 33 degrees
                            2005- 37 degrees
                            2006- 44 degrees
                            May 2007- 47 degrees
                            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                            Fused T1 to L2
                            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I went back to teaching fourth grade 4 months post op. I worked half days for two weeks and have been full time ever since. I don't have any pain or restrictions. I sit for about 2 hours a day when I'm at lunch and my students go to Music, art etc..... (40 minutes here, 10 minutes there..........NOT all at one time)
                              The rest of the time I'm milling about the room.
                              Jenn
                              37 y/o female
                              60 degree lumbar
                              45 degree thoracic
                              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                              T 5 to S 1
                              NYC

Comment

Working...
                              X