Over Used Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Used Diagnosis

I've had some lower back pain for over a month now. I've had this before on occasion but usually ride it out and am better in a couple of weeks. It has happened twice in the past 10 months and this time it has only reduced in magnatude. After 3 weeks I finally broke down and saw my doctor. He checked me over, assured me anyone that could reach their toes does not have a disk problem and pointed out that my alignment was off (one hip lower and a side curve in my back). A cyropractor had x-rayed me when I was 18 and experiencing some pain and pointed out the curve. He tried to help me but probably didn't. Another cyropractor told me the same without an x-ray just before a vacation we were planning and I was desperate to feel ok again.

Anyway my current doctor based on a 15 minute check diagnosed me with scoliosis and sent me for PT. This is helping but my doctor said most (I gather the fortonate) will feel better in a couple weeks anyway.

After reading over some of the problems others are having I wonder if it's possible some doctors (like mine) are too quick to diagnos as scoliosis?

Hi Chris...

Well, I've never heard that from anyone before. It's usually just the opposite.

The symptoms for scoliosis are pretty unmistakable, so it's usually a clear case of one having it or not. You can read about the symptoms here:

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ontentID=20446

Scoliosis in and of itself doesn't cause pain, but many people with scoliosis do have pain, so my advice would be to try to be seen by someone who specializes in spine.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i think chiropractors like to diagnose everyone with scoliosis... 60% of the people i know that have gone to see a chiropractor tell me that they have scoliosis- and they DONT- trust me, it's WAY more than that.
      aBbiE
      22 yr old F,KU college student
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

If it was a chiropractor who dx'd you, then I would be a little more skeptical.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for the input. If I understand the article correctly any sideways curve is scoliosis. I was a little concerned since I had the same doctor from birth to about 20 and complained to him about back pain the last time I saw him and he never used this term same for the cyropractor that x-rayed me. Now all of a sudden I'm told at 30 I have scoliosis. I likely had it all along.

The article also says that it isn't caused by lifting so I will have to take it that my assorted skateboard, bicycle, snowboard and motorcycle accidents haven't caused it. I'll have to just keep looking after my fitness and racing as long as I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Working...
          X