Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about serious operation

Hello,
    Please will you answer some of these questions!
    1. How long will you be in hospital for to recover?
    2. How do you go to the toilet if you are in so much pain?
    3. Do you have regulatr checkups on the monitors?
    4. Do you have tables at the end to stand up cards and presents?
    5. Do you get teachers to come in and revise homework?
    Please answer all the questions you can!
    Thank you!
    Gemma
    so many questions

Here I go....

1. Most people are in the hospital between 5 and 7 days, but it can be less or more depending on the situation.

2. You don't use the toilet - immediately after your surgery a nurse will insert a cathedar into you that will carry urine directly from your body into a seperate container. The cathedar tube will stay in you until you can move sufficiently to go to a bathroom, or a portable toilet might be brought to you. You won't be having bowl movements (pooing) because you won't be eating very much until you start walking around.

3. Most people have several monitors for pulse, breathing rate, and your oxygen percentage. If any of these are abnormal a ringing or beeping noise will go off alerting a nurse to see what the problem is. There will also be a nurse coming in and out every hour or so to see how you feel and if you need anything. (this is when you are in you room - not in the ICU)

4. Most rooms have some sort of table or shelf. My room had a corkboard with tacks to put cards up. It also had a ledge against the window where I put all presents and things I brought with me. I also had a table, but I kept that more for food once I started eating again.

5. Schools are required by law to help students who are absent from classes for an extended amount of time. That means your teachers or a tutor will come and visit your house to teach you for free. You can also pay for additional lessons. It depends on what school and state regulations are, but at my school, each teacher was required to see me one hour per week of school I missed after the first week.

Ha, I'm done! Good luck.
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

your usually in the hospital for lik 5 to 10 days depending on how many vertibrates are getting fused.
      Well at fisrt you just have a catheder but ince they take it out going to the resroom is hard at first.they wont take it out if they know your not capable of getting up to use the restroom so dont worry!!
      Oh ofcoarse they check on your moniters reguarly lik every 30minutes for me!!!
      um i had a lil table to put some on but if they dont have one just ask and they sould give you one of thoose tray things on wheels that you eat off of.
      yes you should get a toter if you arrange it with your school or another place.but make sure you have one sceduled a head of scedule!!!
      Remimber to be completly prepared and everything the knight before cuz you have to be at the hospital early in the morning[usually]
      luve allways,
      *Paige*
      __-------______--------______-------__
      12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

Hi Gemma, I'm not a teen any more, but I had my surgery at 13. The doctor and nurses will make sure that everything you need is taken care of. Each bed has a bedside table and a table for drinks, food and stuff. There are also tvs in each bedroom! You'll be in bed for the 1st few days after surgery so you will have a cathetar. Once you can get up they will remove it and you can go to the bathroom normal again. I had a hard time the 1st few times I got up to go bathroom, but that was because I was a little embarassed! Once I relaxed everything worked the way it was meant to. As for school, your parents can set up tutoring with your teacher with your principal. Your assignments will be sent to you each week that you are out with explinations of what to do. When your teacher is with you for tutoring she can explain what you don't understand. Most teachers will also make sure you know how to get a hold of them if you are really stuck and need help. But if you are still unsure about how tutoing will be set up talk to your teacher. That way YOU know whats going on. Keep on asking your questions, the more you know the less afraid you will be!! Oh, and they hospitals let you put up your cards and presents around your bed. Some nurses even help you figure out what to do with them! Good luck!!!!

Comment

Hi,
          My daughter just had her surgery on April 15 and she was in 10 days counting the day of surgery. She did have a double fusion from top to bottom so that is more extensive than some surgeries. Using the toilet after the catheter was taken out wasn't a problem. The pain didn't seem to increase any for her doing that. One thing that is important is to have your parents or whoever is with you keep track of the medication times. Sometimes the nurses would forget to bring her tylenol 3 that she was taking after she was through with the morphine. I would have to remind them to keep the pain in check. It would start wearing off about 45 minutes before she was due to get it so it is important to take it as soon as you are allowed. She really has handled the pain well and it was better than I thought. The nurses work hard to keep you comfortable and are ready to help. You will do fine. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
          X