post-op trouble affecting cello playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post-op trouble affecting cello playing

Hi there...this is my first time on the forum...
    I've been having a lot of trouble lately with upper back pain when I play cello and sometimes piano. It's gotten to the point where I can barely play for ten minutes without getting a really strange straining pain right around the top of my scar--I had an S-curve around 50 degrees on both top and bottom, and the rods extend almost down my whole back (I wish I knew the exact vertebrae). I did a lot of physical therapy this summer for my neck, and I think that this pain might be related to the leaning forward that I do when I play both instruments. I also think I'm developing kyphosis in the few vertebrae in my neck...my height went up about 2 inches after surgery but it's been steadily declining in the three years since then. My doctors have brushed it off and said it's because of differences in the height markers in offices, but I think I'm getting shorter because of the curvature of my neck. For the most part, the pain only occurs when I play, though it sometimes shows up when I swim or play volleyball. I really don't want my rods to affect my playing, music is a really important part of my life...any ideas or input, anyone? I'm getting really worried.

Hi Kate,

I'm a musician as well and can understand your concerns. One thing you may want to try is the Alexander Technique. If you're not familiar with it, it's a technique that has been developed to reduce tension in the neck and back muscles, thus often reducing pain in wrists, arms, etc... A lot of music schools have teachers around and I know quite a few people that have been in pain while playing and were able to diminish or even eliminate the pain. Now, of course - we scoli people are of a different breed, but I do think your pain could be from the way you are holding yourself (posture) when you play. Subtle changes can make all the difference in the world. I'm a trumpet player - I learned that I was bringing myself to the trumpet, thus messing up my posture, instead of bringing the trumpet to me when I was in a posturally correct position. If nothing else, it's a thought. If you've seen multiple doctors about your neck and no one seems to think it's anything, this could be an alternative approach.

Good luck!
    32 y/o male
    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Alexander Technique

Brian,

I have been practicing the AT for the past four years and it has done me a world of good. I highly recommend it for Kate as it was originally developed for singers/musicians. It has helped me control my neck/back pain. I actually heard about it through the scoliosis website in the UK. I tried everything else so I figured why not. It was the best thing I did.

Lynn
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi Kate,

I played the cello when I was younger. Just give it some time. Your new back has to adjust to everything. Your muscles have to adjust too. Just try and fight through the pain a little at a time.

Don't give up, just work up to it. When I would get certain pains, I would push myself through it a little more each time. I really think your body has to adjust to it's new position, and you just need to be patient and persistant.

Shari

Comment

Working...
        X