surgery questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery questions

i just turned 18, i finished my HSC a couple of weeks ago. before i start work i want to go ahead with surgery for my scoliosis. i was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis when i was 11 and wore a brace for 23 hours a day for three years. last time i went to the doctor with xrays the curve was 52 degrees. he told me it was up to me whether to have surgery or not, looking back isnt this strange? shouldnt he have made me have surgery? that was four years ago. he told me i never had to see him again. last week i went to my normal doctor and asked her for an xray. i havent seen a surgeon yet but just by looking at the xrays i can see its significantly worsened. the pain gets worse week by week. i do pilates with a one on one teacher weekly and also partake in as much exercise as possible whenever im not studying or seeing friends. i also get acupuncture every few months which temporarily helps with the pain however none of this has helped the curve. my mother has always been very against surgery hence i was brought up with a very negative view of surgery (she called the surgeon we used to see the "baddie" and the alternative therapist the "goodie") recently however, i became aware of scoliosis fusion using posterior translational corrective techniques (Isola). ive read so much, there are just a couple of questions i have that i cant find answers to: it may seem trivial but please will somebody who's had the operation tell me how bad the scarring is?
    i heard the curve sometimes gets worse after surgery before getting better - i thought they literally straighten it in the operating theatre? how long does it take to correct itself and how much improvement can i expect?
    thanks...emma
    Em.
    19yo
    Australia
    Surgery 11th December 2007
    t c 60 l c 45

Hi Emma...

If you search the forums for SCAR, you'll see some previous discussions. The amount of scarring is dependent on the type of surgery you have.

I'm not sure where you read that sometimes one's curves worsen after surgery and then get better, but that does not happen. If you have a normal outcome from surgery, your curve will be straightened significantly and held in place by rods while the fusion takes hold, and the curve will not worsen (except possibly a tiny bit in the immediate postop period).

Scoliosis surgery is elective. A lot of people with large curves never have surgery, and lead relatively normal lives. So, if you ever find a surgeon who tells you that you must have surgery, I'd run the other way.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Emmalouise,

Welcome to the forum. Your situation at your age sounded very much like mine! I'm 27 now, but was diagnosed when I was 13. At that time my curve was only 29 degrees and I was braced, but now my curve is at 55 degrees and I am probably having surgery in 2007. My mother was also VERY much against surgery and we tried EVERY possible alternative medicine. I'm a big proponent of alternative medicine (don't get me wrong), but sometimes surgery is the best option. She also called surgeons something like "baddies." Now, after she had 2 hip replacements, she realizes how surgery changed her life for the better and couldn't imagine not doing it. . . needless to say, she now is a big supporter of scoliosis surgery! However, I'm making sure she doesn't influence my decision because surgery is BIG and you have to feel that it is right for you.
      I agree with Linda - a surgeon shouldn't tell you you HAVE to do surgery (especially when you are just over the 50 degree mark). However, as my surgeon says, you have to consider the size of your curve, and the amount of pain you are in. My pain also increased a lot and that is the main reason I'm opting for surgery. Get other surgical opinions and keep up the exercise. It still helps a lot!

Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

if my curves were only in the 55 range i would only be watching to make sure it didnt move, however since its now at 60 and 70 i know that it probably will continue to worsen and my pain will also.if a orthopedic surgeon says you need to have surgery over the 55 60 mark they justy know what coluld happen in the future butit doesnt matter what the dr says anyway,its only up to you to know if surgery is right or not.
        Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Thankyou everyone! I have an appointment with Dr. Andrew Cree in Febuary (I cant believe there's such a long waiting list just for a consultation!!) I'm very much looking forward to it, and thanks to you I won't have quite as many questions to bombard him with when i see him!! wish you all the best of luck x
          Em.
          19yo
          Australia
          Surgery 11th December 2007
          t c 60 l c 45

Comment

My daughter was worried about her scar also. She used a scar treatment that we bought in the store. It didn't completely take her scar away, but it lessened it. It was like a band-aid that she wore on her scar. She only did it on the upper part that would show when she was dancing. It did make a big difference.
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
            X