• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hello,
    I am Gemma and i am 11.
    I despretly need some advice?
    Firstly, how long does the operation take?
    Secondly, is it painful when you go into the intensive care unit?
    Will there be any beds for relitives to come and sleep over?
    I really need advice cause i am scared incase something goes wrong!
    Please help me!
    Thanks
    Gemma
    I am terrifyed
    Any advice about it i could do with!

The operation itself only takes lik 3or4 hours but all the meds and positioning you takes lik6to8 hours all togather. They do have a fold out coach but only 1 parent or gardian!!!!It is very painful to through intencive care but i dont remimber much from it and once you get pain killers its not that bad!!! Im 12yaers old and you can email me with any ?s you have at lassygal1@yahoo.com
    luve allways,
    *Paige*
    __-------______--------______-------__
    12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

Most surgeries are six to eight hours. As Paiger said, some hospitals provide a fold out bed or reclining chair, but it is only for one parent. You should consult your hospital to see what your situation will be.

Not everyone goes into the intensive care unit. I went to my room soon after surgery, though I still had machines monitoring me and nurses coming to see me a lot. Your pain level after surgery is more discomfort than actual pain...its very difficult for me and most others to remember their first few days in the hospital post surgery because of all of the drugs.

Good Luck!
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Oops i didnt mean intencive care eather i ment recovery!!!
        luve allways,
        *Paige*
        __-------______--------______-------__
        12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

Hi Gemma,
          The surgeries take different lengths depending on whether you are getting a single or double fusion. My daughter had a double and it took 9 hrs. They will keep you comfortable in ICU. They will ask you your pain level and it is important to be honest and tell them how you feel that way they can raise and lower your pain medication to fit you best. My daughters ICU and regular room had a lazyboy recliner that I slept in. Some nights in ICU I slept in a sleeping room across the hall. I just told the nurses to wake me if she called for me or was restless. I stayed right next to her bed every night in the regular room and that was great. The doctors and nurses taking care of you are professionals and experienced, you will do fine. Let your parents do the worrying for you. That is what they are there for!

Comment

Gemma:

Hi, my name is Christine. I had my surgery when I was 11. Now I am 14. To answer your questions, my surgery took about 6-7 hours. It was a little painful when I went into the intensive care unit. In my hospital, there were no beds, but there were a few chairs that my mom slept in.
            Dont be scared Gemma. You'll be just fine. Your family will be there with you every step of the way.

Love Always,
            Christine
            Christine Workman

Comment

Working...
            X