Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braces and Surgury

Hey

I'm suppose to get braces for my teeth and have surgery. My ortho said that I should go ahead and have my surgery before braces because after surgery i need MRIs and X-rays and stuff like that and the metal would mess with the machines and i would have to take the braces off for every X-ray and MRI.

Has anyone had this or is going thro this???
    Mák Veronika
    14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
    40T
    54L
    +rotation
    Boston Brace since December 2005
    Location in Florida

I play flute.
    I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Did your orthopedic surgeon or your orthodontist say to have surgery before braces? Why would you need to have an MRI after surgery? Also, I don't understand why your braces would interfere with x-rays.

My daughter had an MRI and CT scan before surgery. She still has her braces on her teeth and she has x-rays done at least every six months, the most recent just a few weeks ago. Are you aware that if you have surgery done and then get your braces on you might need to be pre-medicated with an antibiotic before having your braces put on?

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hey

My ortho said that I should have the surgury first.
      Mák Veronika
      14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
      40T
      54L
      +rotation
      Boston Brace since December 2005
      Location in Florida

I play flute.
      I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Hmmm....we haven't gotten to the surgery stage yet (possible) but my DD has braces on her teeth.

We had the first x-ray for her diagnosis with no problem with the braces on her teeth.

We will be going to Shriners in a couple weeks and as far as I know the braces on her teeth won't be a problem with the x-rays (she may or may not have them still on by then. Her phase 1 is supposed to be done in Dec.)

She even had x-rays in her mouth by our regular dentist and didn't have to take the braces off.

I'm just confused because I have never heard of such a thing -- not even sure how you would do that since in my DD's case the brackets are glued on and it's would not be an easy task to take the braces off.

I have heard about the antibotics after surgery though for dental procedures.

Good Luck.
        Becky
        Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
        Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

my orthodontist said not to get braces until after surgery because of the pre surgery mris. i dont really know though. i would have to talk to my doctor
          35T 54L rotation
          3rd TLSO brace
          shoe lift
          trunk shift,pelvic shift
          waiting for surgery!

Comment

braces

My son had braces put on a few months prior to his spinal fusion. We had them adjusted days before surgery. Never any problems with xrays?? He had fusion T3-L3 August 14th 2006. Good luck!

Comment

braces and surgery

you should ask your orthodontist if you can just get braces on after the surgery. And ask him if you can just get a retainer (try invisiline.. thats what i have) so that your teeth don't shift. GOOD LUCK

from Mzl's daughter<3

Comment

i had an MRI last june and i had 2 put on different pants because of the button on my jeans and my belt. IT WAS A PRETTY BELT TOO! anyways,i think that metal can mess up the MRI, not the machine.
                i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

I took an MRI when I had braces, but it was for something WAY different from back stuff. I think I had braces...I remember the machine freaking out because of the metal and so I thought 'Oh great, the braces are messing up the MRI' but i had actually just forgotten to take off my belt smartt...i know.
                  I dont see why they should effect the machine. I remember going to marine world and i had this metal bar in my chest and i was freaking out because i thought it would set off the metal detector and i had no way to prove that there was metal INSIDE me, but i went right through. It's the same way with braces. I think they use a special metal or something, but i might be wrong. Oh well, might as well wait...i HATED my braces with a PASSION.

my name is molly
                  i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
                  i got my back brace at age 13
                  i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
                  my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
                  i've had scoliosis since i was 7
                  my legs used to be uneven
                  but now they look much more balanced!
                  and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
                  Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

i just got braces on friday i would suggest taking advil b4 u go and get lots of soft food like, pudding, yogurt, frozen mac and cheese, soup, and top ramen!!!! it wont hurt when ur getting them on but it will later!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X