Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain around T5 hardware

Hello all,

As I periodically check the forums I keep reading about how people have pain around their hardware at T-5. I have also been having this pain for quite sometime now with no relief and now that the colder weather has moved in it is making it quite unbearable. However, I am curious if there is anything in particular that makes this level more susceptible to pain/inflammation. Also, are there any ways to make this go away permanently? Please let me know. Living in the DC area with the cold weather hurts.
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

I am still in my recovery phase but the past couple of days that have been colder I have noticed an increased stiffness. Today seems like it is warming up so I guess I will go through it again when it cools down again.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

Hello All

Hi All!!!! I Have been having Pain in the thoracic. It's at the level where the rods curve both ways. T7 to T9 my Doctor thinks its the Screws at that level that are causing the pain. He wants me to get trigger point injections and see if the screws are causing the pain. I went off Gabapentin was on 3600 mg a day. and i feel alot more pain. I Haven't got the injections yet sick of needles getting stuck in back. When the pain gets to bad i'll have to get in done. Going off Gabapentin has really slowed me down. Thanks Dave
      Hello I'm Dave
      34 years old
      2002 C5-C7 Fusion with plate and screws.

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
      65 degree before 37 degree After Thoracic
      Rods and Screws

L3-L4 and L5-S1 took discs out fusied with rods and screws.

Had 11 1/4 hour surgery spent 6 days in coma and 7 days in heart ICU. Had a tough surgery don't want to go through that again.

Comment

I had a screw/hook around T5 taken out and it took away all that pain but back then the pain was unbearable and 24/7. Now I have pain around T6 and it's on and off, so they're not recommending taking out anything. I did notice that this cold weather(0 celsius) and Winter air is making it so much worse, and that's a bummer after feeling so much better for a few months(Sept., Oct).

I am still supposed to go to a pain clinic but I don't think there's much they can do about it, pain meds give me either serious side effects or allergic reactions. Inter costal nerve blocks injections were not recommended b/c of fear of infections, as the pain is located near the hardware.

Ice packs and keeping warm and resting can help(not doing repetetive movements).
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X