Brace Weaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace Weaning

Has anyone had to wear a brace after surgery? I have been in one by day since July 20, the day I came home from the hospital. On Wednesday my doctor told me that I can start weaning out of it. I'm just not sure how many hours a day to keep it on and how many to take it off. I am still wearing it when I go out and when I drive, but am taking it off when I am at home, at least part of the time. I am getting sore in new places since I started to do this, but I start physical therapy tomorrow and I guess that will help strengthen muscles that have been out of use for a while.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Sandy
    [SIZE=3]Sandy B
    Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
    Dr. William A. Lauerman
    Georgetown University Medical Center[
    /SIZE]

Hi Sandy...

I was a bit sore when I first starting weaning. It will take a while for you to build up the muscles needed to take over for the brace. I think it only took me about a week or two to wean.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Also trying to wean

Hi Sandy,

I am just a couple of weeks postop behind you and was told I could wean off my brace, but don't seem to be able to go more than an hour or two without getting spasms in my upper back into my shoulders. I am also starting Physical therapy this week, but he is very conservative with me so as not to irritate anything further. I think that it takes a lot of time to get those muscles back into shape. My surgeon also said that there is scar tissue in there and the muscles haven't been moving, so everything is stiff.

I guess we just have to keep plugging away a little at a time.

Deb
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      for T70, L76 curves
      fusion from T5-L5
      50% correction
      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

I have the jewitt brace & it actually is'nt much of a brace & is obviously, at this point not holding me up! I've worn it since my operation Aug 1st... I was told I could pretty much take it off now & just use it for p.t. standing/sitting exercises & on long drives/long walks... I've been going without it more than half the time at home & it feels great! I still feel real stiff without it almost like I still have it on!!!
        Lynne
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        fused T-11 to L-5/Dr. Boachie/Kim /95 thorolumbar curve reduced into the 50's/ 3 months post/op

Comment

Working...
        X