surgery 2 months ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery 2 months ago

I am a 21 year old female who had scoliosis surgery almost 2 months ago. Previously I had no pain, but the doctor said that the curve was progressing and I would eventually need surgery and the younger I was when I got it the better. I'm in my senior year of college and decided this was a good time before I began my career and started a family. I had a lower lumber curve of 45 degrees and was fused from t10- L3. Surgery went well, I am not feeling pain any more except a little when lying in bed and I fell very fortunate for this. The only thing I am upset about is the doctor said that I am going to have to wear my brace for 9 months. I am usually very active and before I got surgery I read that some young people can run/lift weights 6 months after surgery. Like I said I am in my senior year of college and I feel as if this brace has ruined it. I can wear tshirts over my brace during the day, but cant wear anything tight so I can't go out at night. I just feel unatractive and am tired of not being able to do anything. This means no snow skiing this year, no spring break, etc. I have been reading the forum often and have not heard of anyone wearing the brace for so long, 5 months was the longest I've seen. Its also hard to understand when I didnt have nearly the curvature as others and not as much fused. Has any one had to wear the brace this long? And how did you deal with self esteem issues?

Hi Summer...

Nine months does seem like a long time, especially for a 21 year old. Does your surgeon routinely have his patients wear the brace that long, or is there something special about your case? I've heard occasionally of kids who had to wear a brace postop, not to restrict movement, but to address a curve that wasn't corrected by surgery. That shouldn't be the case for you, as you should already be skeletally mature.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey there,

I feel your pain. I'm just barely 6 weeks post-op and am still in a brace. I'm not sure how long I have to wear this thing, but thankfully, it's during the winter. Winter time in Cincinnati is pretty darn cold! I hope to be out of it before Spring and Summer are here.

Before I had surgery, I had watched a video on-line from the Children's Hospital where they showed part of a spinal fusion surgery. I found it very intersting to watch, even though it was kinda scary. I do recall one of the Drs. saying that this young man would be home in a few days and will not need a brace at all as the fusion was in his thorasic spine.

As soon as I got to the hospital for surgery, I asked my surgeon about that. He said that because there's not a lot of movement throughout the thorasic spine a brace was not needed. The brace is only needed for fusions that go through the lumbar region. That's where all your movement comes in. So, I would assume since your fusion includes the lumbar spine you'll need to stay in the brace until the bone heals. Perhaps you can ask your doctor if there's a dietary supplement that may help speed up the bone growth process.

Perhaps by the time spring comes around, you'll be allowed to start wearing the brace part-time...

I wish you the best, I hope my info was helpful to you.
      Nickie

Comment

I am a lot older than you but I had to wear my brace 6 months, and I also had another contraption to wear for 9 months--a bone growth stimulator. The brace was a "turtle shell" type and the stimulator I wore over the brace when I was walking about, or without the brace when I was asleep. I looked like the bionic woman. My husband used to jokingly tell others "She's got a bomb!" Several people would see me and ask me if I had back surgery or tell me about their back surgery or someone else"s back surgery. It was quite a conversation piece. I got over being self-confident pretty quickly but was very glad to quit wearing the brace and stimulator. One good thing that came out of wearing the brace: I now feel like I kind of know how it feels to be disabled or handicapped and how it feels to deal with being stared at. Good luck with everything and hang in there. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. After everything you have been through you certainly don't want to jeopardize your recovery.

Comment

I haven't had my surgery yet, but was speaking with my doctor about the brace, etc. I would be fused T3 - T12, maybe L2. He told me he would have me wear a brace for 6 weeks, but not when I was sleeping or lounging around the house. Mostly when I was up and about as a reminder to myself that I shouldn't overdo it. But he also said it was more of a cautious thing than a necessary thing. 9 months does seem like a long time to me, especially someone of your age. If I were you, I'd call the doctor and find out exactly why he wants you in the brace for so long. If nothing else, his explanation should make you feel less doubtful and more comfortable with doing it.

It's also interesting to read your first post. I posted something a few days ago asking about people who had surgery who were not in pain. So it seems like your procedure went very well. You should be ecstatic that you're feeling so well!
          32 y/o male
          S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
          Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Working...
          X