Prenatal massage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prenatal massage

Today's my birthday (YAY!) and as a gift, my boss and colleagues have given me a gift certificate for a prenatal massage at a local spa. I have no idea what this entails and am hoping that the hardware along my spine won't be an issue...can anyone give me more information on this type of massage and if it's ok to have one with my hardware? Thanks!

Happy Birthday Heidi! You are going to love having a massage. (Your post makes me think you haven't had one.) I have had a few and I feel great after them. I have one spot the massage therapist and physical therapist think they can feel the top of a screw. Other then that I just lay back and relax. I'm not sure what the difference between a prenatal massage and a regular massage is. I do know when you are pretty far along there are special massage tables with a cut out for your belly. I am still thinner then before my surgery and my hardware isn't a problem during massage. ENJOY!

Comment

When I get a massage I get pain around my thoracic implants, not in the lower thoracic part or lumbar, but those screws around T5 are always an issue anyway for me. Maybe you can ask the massage therapist to do a soft massage to start, b/c my PT gave me a hard one years ago and I was in a lot of pain afterwards(inflammation), even if it felt good during.

Have a relaxing time
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thanks ladies! No, I have never had any type of massage before. I asked on a pregnancy board after posting here and some of the ladies there said that their prenatal massage did not involve any massaging of the back, just the legs, feet, shoulders and belly. They were on their backs for theirs. I think it sounds heavenly and can't wait to use my gift certificate!

Comment

Happy Birthday

Enjoy Heidi.....
          And Happy Birthday have a great day!!!!!

Love Lee
          Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Most good massage centers are very receptive to how you are feeling during the massage and will often ask you if they are going to0 hard or not hard enough, or if you want a certain area worked on, or even if you would rather lie on your side, back, stomach, or sit up. Be sure and drink lots of water afterwards. If you are like me I get a lot of muscle buildup and tightness in my neck and shoulders and the massage helps break it up, and the water helps eliminate the waste from your body. You will have a great time and may get hooked!

Comment

Go For It

I say go for it and Happy Birthday!

If only someone I knew would give me a Gc for a massage!

Comment

Happy Birthday Heidi,

Let us know how the massage goes, I'm curious too!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X