Two week anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two week anniversary

I called the doctor's office today. The pain and muscle spasms are still great. I am getting short 30 minute naps and no real sleep. The doctor said this is a typical description for two weeks out. I am so sad, I really thought things would be improving by now. I thought the medication would have the pain and spasms under control also.

Does this all sound typical to y'all?

Hi Joan...

It was similar for me. While some people seem to have miraculously fast recoveries, I think it's more typical to measure recovery in months rather than days or weeks.

If you feel that you're not getting enough pain relief from your current medication, I'd urge you to talk to your surgeon's office. And, if they're not willing to help, talk to your primary care physician. What are you currently taking?

Hang in there.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Joan,

Linda is right about recovery time. We all heal differently and I was a month by month person. I thought I would be a week by week person because I was in such great physical shape for my age. But you just can't compare your recovery to anyone else's.

It's very frustrating to not be able to sleep in addition to the pain you are experiencing. I had to ask for sleeping pills, and they helped me for a while. I was also taking percoset and oxicodone(sp on drugs?) 2 hours apart for a while. And I was a clock watcher.

The fact that anyone is on the computer so soon afterwards, is amazing.

I couldn't do it!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Joan,

Yes, I think the first month afterwards is spent lying down more than being up by most people. I still had to have muscle relaxants the first month for spasms, then they let up. Are you on flexeril, valium or something for those? The oxycodone was the only pain reliever that worked for me the first month to 6 weeks. I was already on a sleep aid for a sleep disorder or probably wouldn't have gotten much sleep at night, either.

My daughter had an orchestra concert two weeks after my surgery and although I wanted to go, was just not up to being upright and sitting that long so had to wait until her next one.

Hang in there; it is rough at first but we're all pulling for you!

Deb
        age 47
        posterior surgery 7/24/06
        for S curve T70,L76
        50% correction
        DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

What you are going through sounds very typical. If you are unsure, ask your doctor what he thinks. There are a lot of rough spots in the beginning, but it does get better.
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I am at at 8 weeks and thought that by now I would be driving and doing a lot more stuff. Although now I have learned to embrace the little things like being able to put my pants on for the first time. Doing a dish folding some clothes.I still lay down for a large part of my day but I feel like I should be able to do more at this point. I also think I overdid it with having three outings in three days. This is my sons last year in grade school so I had to go to his parade. I will be couch bound for most of the day. One good thing about one of the meds or something going on in my system is that I ate a piece of candy last night and I really didn't feel good afterwards. That will keep me from raiding the candy bag. Happy Halloween, day late.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

little by little...

Dawney--it's really good to hear from you! you are doing well...you do have to always look at what seems to be small accomplishments but are huge to us! I just came back from the mall for the first time post-op this afternoon(now at 3 mths post-op) I made it to a couple of stores and then was exhausted...my left leg started to ache(incision side) and I had to sit on one of the benches with the 'seniors'! I managed to buy a few things & was happy to be there! That achey leg made me realize I'm still recovering & I can't push myself to hard....it still was a good accomplishment! take care-Lynne

Comment

Working...
              X