strange pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange pain?

Well, I made it to the 3 week mark! I am feeling much better everyday and I am grateful for that. However, I have a really strange pinching/ painful sensation just below my right shoulder blade. It hurts just to touch that spot and especially when I reach my right arm around to the back, (like when you pull on your pants). I'm starting to worry that it might be a hardware problem, what do you guys think?

you may have just moved in a different way... be careful. I do think when the hardware is put in, it's in there real good..just my opinion! I have had many paranoid feelings that I did something to move the hardware. I actually hurt myself at about 2 mths post-op when I bent down to get my car keys on the ground...must have reached my arm too far & whammo, I was in bed that whole weekend! My P.T. guy said I had just strained a muscle in my rib area....It's good when you have P.T. because they can check you out with your aches & pains!
    you may have strained yourself a bit so take it easy.. ......Lynne
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
    fused T-11 to L-5-- 95 degree curve/aug 1 2006/Boachie/Kim

Comment

Hi Dorigirl,

Yes, I pulled on something too hard about at the point you're at and strained something by my shoulders that really hurt for a few days, also. I was afraid I'd pulled hardware out so they took an x-ray but it looked ok. So I just had to take it easy for a while and it went away.

My dr. told me that they have a lot of muscles that have to be separated from the spine between your shoulders so there is a lot of healing to be done and you definitely do not have your full strength and motion.

Now at 3 months post-op I am getting a burning feeling there at times which he said is the muscles starting to kick back in and they are not used to being stretched so fatigue quickly.

Try ice or heat for a couple of days, but if it doesn't calm down in a couple days, maybe should contact your dr.

Deb
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      for S curve T70,L76
      50% correction!!
      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever come across anyone who didn't think they'd done something to their implants at some point. :-)

You will have a lot of strange pains over the next few months. The vast majority will mean nothing, and go away on their own. Hope this is one of them.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Dori,

I too had many new pains post-op, and everyone of them scared me. When I would mention them to my Dr., his standard response was "it's too soon to tell", and almost all of them have gone away.

You have to keep in mind that you are only 3 weeks post-op, and that you are very much still healing. My philosophy so soon after surgery was, if it hurt me I didn't do it.

But anytime I had a new or different pain, I always thought I had done something to ruin my fusion. That's just a normal response. We have all gone through it. That doesn't make it less worrisome, just more normal. But it does help ease your mind when you mention your problems to your Doctor.

Shari

Comment

I agree with Linda, otherwise ask your doctor if you should be concerned.
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I am at the 8 week mark and I will feel a little more pain or something different and the first thing I will do is ask my boyfriend if I still look straight because I am afraid I did something wrong.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Dawn,

I'm soooo glad you said that!!! I can't even count the number of times I asked my husband "if I still look straight" or to feel a certain area to make sure nothing was out of place.

Thanks!!!
                Shari

Comment

Working...
                X