Pregnancy & Herrington Rods in Philadelphia area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy & Herrington Rods in Philadelphia area

Good afternoon. My name is Stephanie and I'm 28 years old. My husband and I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and I just found out that I'm 6 weeks pregnant. Because I have been seeing a D.O for all my gynocological yearly exams, I have not been to an OB/GYN yet. Now I need to schedule a pre-natal appointment and my husband and I want to choose wisely. I saw my DO today and I will be getting some blood work done tomorrow to confirm my pregnancy.

I'm looking for some help with choosing an OB/GYN office that has experience delivering babies where the women have had Herrington rods as a result of scoliosis. If anyone in the Philly area could refer me, I'd be eternally grateful. Obviously we plan on discussing these things with whomever we choose, but we also would rather be with a doctor group who have done this before. My goal is NOT to have an epidural (deliver naturally), however, I know this is an option from reading other posts on here depending on where I am fused.

Any help would help. My plan "B" is to start making lots of phone calls!

Blessings,
    Steph (Frenchrockstar)
    Steph Newcomb
    Harrington Rod recipient for upper right lumbar curve of about 45 degrees in 1990 (age 12) at Children's Hospital in Richmond, VA; orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Nogi.

Hi Steph...

Your spinal fusion won't really make any difference to an OB/GYN. You should, however, seek out someone in a university setting, as that's where it's most likely that you'll find anesthesiologists who can do epidurals on people with spinal fusions.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I llive in Phoenixville too!

Hi Steph!

I would go straight to Penn if I were you.

Do you think we're neighbors?
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for the insight, Linda. While it would be possible to deliver at University of Pennsylvania, it would be about an hour drive for us. I think we will be choosing a closer hospital.

I spoke with an OB/GYN office yesterday and they said that they would make sure to have a consult with the anesthesiologist prior to delivery just in case I end up needing one. If possible, I'd like to deliver naturally as it removes the risk of epidural complications completely.

Thanks for the help and please feel free to pass on any additional information you feel is helpful!
        Steph Newcomb
        Harrington Rod recipient for upper right lumbar curve of about 45 degrees in 1990 (age 12) at Children's Hospital in Richmond, VA; orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Nogi.

Comment

Working...
        X