Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up and around!

Hello everyone!

Well, I am about 12 days post-op and I am sitting at the computer a little bit more everyday. My brother-in-law moved the PC downstairs, so I can get to it much easier. My surgical experience was overall very good. I met about 8 members of my family at a hotel in Baltimore the night before my surgery and we hugged and laughed... it was great to be surrounded by them. The hardest part was saying goodbye to my babies the night before we drove down to Baltimore. Kids are so sweet and sensitive, they didn't exactly understand what was happening but they knew it was big.

In the morning, it was difficult to hand my twin sister a bag with my belongings and say goodbye to all my sisters and my parents. After that though, I do not remember much of anything and I know that the 8 hour surgery was hardest on my family. They sat in a waiting room and a nurse from the OR gave updates about every 1 to 2 hours. I cannot say enough about my surgeon Dr. Kebaish and his team, they are at the top in my opinion. I was in ICU for 24 hours, the nurses were amazing and then moved to a regular floor where, I'll be honest the care was not as great as I had expected. I had a few problems with some of the care, too many contract nurses in my opinion, it's a long story.

I have to say I was not prepared for how difficult recovery would be. I guess no matter how much information you get, you never know what it will be like until you are going through it. Everyday does seem a little better and I am trying to be proud of my accomplishments and I try to keep the emotional outbursts to a minimum, my poor family!!

Thank you to everyone who shares on this site, it has been such a help before the surgery and now afterwards. Just knowing I have a place to visit where everyone understands, it is so great. I hope that now I can help those of you who may be heading into surgery. I will do my best to give information, guidance and comfort.

Take care,

Dori
    Surgery October 9, 2006
    60* thoracic curve corrected to under 10*!!! Hurray for me!
    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, Johns Hopkins Baltimore, Maryland
    Last edited by dorigirl; 10-22-2006, 12:29 PM.

Hi Dori! It's so great to hear from you. We heard about some of your difficulties post-op through George, who did a great job of updating us. I'm glad you're feeling better. Hearing that you are sitting at your computer 12 days post-op is very encouraging for us nervous folks who are waiting.

Keep up the good work,
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Dori,

I'm so glad to hear how you are doing. Yes, recovery is tough and different for us all. Trust me, as well as plenty of others you have read about, it is so very worth it. Each day is a new chance to realise just how far you have come. Keep up positive thoughts and lean on us when you feel overwhelmed. We are all in this together and rooting for a fast and pain free recovery for you! George was great keeping us up to date, you are fortunate to have him there for you. Remember the emotional outbursts are due in part to the meds plus, you have been through a lot emotionally and physically. It is normal. Best wishes.

Comment

Hi Dori,

I am always so amazed when someone gets on here so soon after their surgery!!! It makes me smile!!! I tried and I couldn't do it.

We go through the anticipation of it, which is hard in itself. But it's true that there is no way of knowing exactly what to expect no matter how much information we have.

There's a lot of people out here that can help you get through the tough times, you can unload on us!!! In hindsight, I wish I would have shared more than I did.

Shari

Comment

Congrats Dori on your recovery so far. I haven't been there, but I can only imagine how tough it is both physically and emotionally.

Wow, down to 10 degrees?! I am only at 45 which was less than your 60 degree curve, but wow would I love to be down to 10 degrees!! You must look amazing, and you will FEEL amazing soon enough. I'm glad everything has gone well for you.

Best of luck and keep us posted

Jamie

Comment

That's wonderful Dori! Hang in there - you're doing great and it is encouraging to us awaiting surgery. Keep us updated!
            Best,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Dori,

Amazing that you are already able to get around! How's the walking coming along? It sounds like you are doing extremely well! I also appreciate your info about the entire surgery process and your thoughts about everything. Keep getting better - you're an inspiration to all of us that have not quite yet taken the leap of faith...
              32 y/o male
              S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
              Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

YAY Dori!!! Welcome back! So glad you're up and getting around the house. Sounds like you have an amazing family and that they are really taking good care of you. My advice to you at this point is to let your body tell you what it needs and wants and not to rush anything. Keep up with the great progress!

Comment

Thanks to everyone, the words of encouragement do me a lot of good! Today was a good day. I had PT and went upstairs twice and lots of strength exercises. It feels really good to move, everyday it feels less and less like I have titanium rods in my back! I am still limited in my standing and sitting to about 30 minutes at a time, but I hope it gets better and better as the days pass. My sister counted my staples yesterday, I have 118!! It looks like a long zipper up my back.

Take care all!

Comment

Dori -

You really sound like you're coming along beautifully. You are truly an inspiration to so many. Especially those preparing for surgery. I couldn't post to this forum or even log onto my computer for two months after my surgery. The fact that you are able to so quickly amazes me. Hang in there. You will find that you feel a little better with each passing day.
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Dori, you are doing great!! I pray each day will find you better in some ways. Don't be discouraged if you have a bad day once in a while, overall you're progressing in a forward direction. 118 staples!! wowwww !!

Hang in there....(((hugs))) JoAnn

Comment

I didn't get staples. A fellow patient of Dr. Lauerman's told me I could get around them if I asked for the "pretty" stitches. So, as I lay on the table, being wheeled to the operating room I looked up at my surgeon and said "No staples! I want the pretty stitches!"

And that's what I got.
                        Brandi
                        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                        L1-S1
                        Dr. William Lauerman
                        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Staples vs. stitches

I spoke to my doctor about staples vs. stitches, dissolvable, etc. He said he prefers staples because there is a much lower risk of infection that way. I know some people have posted about post-op infections, etc., so I thought this would be helpful to some. From what I understand after speaking with him, they cover the staples with a stero-tape that is removed after 2 days or so, then the staples are removed after 12-14 days (I think). Everyone I've spoken to says the staples do not hurt at all when they are removed, including a friend of mine who just had her second C-section a few weeks ago. So for what it's worth, anyway. Maybe others who have actually been through this would have more info.
                          32 y/o male
                          S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                          Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

congrats Dori...you are doing really good!!! Ly

Comment

Staples

That's the first I hear about infections with dissolvable stitches. What I know is that my first doctor was pro dissolvable stitches and he didn't even ask me what I wanted for my first two surgeries, he did dissolvable.

This new doctor I had to ask him, he was more prone to the staples, and when I asked him why he said that they are more resistant but really it's how a doctor works and what he prefers and he did the dissolvale ones again b/c I heard some people had a lot of pain when the staples were taken out combined with what Brandi said(scar looked good before without staples) and I preferred doing what I did before, having dissolvable stitches.
                              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                              X