Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Vitamins

Hi Everyone,

I'm having surgery anterior/posterior next may 2007 and i would like to start taking vitamins to help my health leading up to this operation... Any suggestions on which ones i should have???

Thanks in Advance
    Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Hi Lee-
    I take several vitamins every day- a calcium supplement, omega 3-6-9, a multi-vitamin and Juice +(concentrated fruits & vegetables).I feel like this covers just about everything, but would be interested too to see what others take. Good luck with your surgery!
    Cathie

Comment

Just make sure to stop taking any omega oils and vitamin E some time before surgery since both have been known to cause clotting problems.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

No garlic either

I saw a special the other day about how certain vitamins can give side effects when combined with certain meds, and also like green m&m said, some can cause clotting, and they said that taking garlic pills before and after a surgery is not recommended and can cause this.

Before surgery it's important to sometimes take a multi vitamin, especially with iron b/c wether you give blood or not you will loose some and that can make you stronger. After surgery, again iron for a while, B vitamins are also good to give energy and strength and Vit.C makes the tissues heal faster(like the scar) and it helps with iron assimilation. Cacium with vit.D of course for the fusion/bones.

Eating healthy is the best solution though, and not going nuts with taking too many vitamins, as they can irritate the stomach. I also like the Sisu company b/c they're capsules(easier to digest) and very high quality products.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys....
          I now know what to take before and after surgery.

Lee
          Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

To clarify vitamin E and omega oils can thin your blood.
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Several months before the surgery it is a good idea to get your hematocrit level checked and start iron supplements/iron rich foods if necessary. It is stressful to discover you are somewhat anemic and can't donate blood a month before surgery.

My wife Jan had to go on Procrit to raise the red blood cell count and it is a very expensive solution if your insurance will not pay, and I suspect few will as the need for autologous blood or a certain hematocrit level is subjective.

Comment

i've never heard of Vitamin E causing clotting problems and I am in pharmacy school. Make you sure get plenty of Vitamin K in your diet, as it is an important precursor to several blood clotting factors. Otherwise, a K deficiency could lead to spontaneous bleeding. It is also extremely critical that you DISCOUNTINUE ANY ANTIBIOTIC THERAPY before surgery (I would say give it a good month). Why? Because antibiotics wipe out your natural flora and most of our Vitamin K comes from our intestinal flora. Since you're young, I'm gonna assume you're not taking any anti-coagulant medications (like Warfarin/Coumadin), but for some reason, if you are, discontinue that too.

Comment

Taking a daily mulitvitamin now would be a good idea, but even better taken in conjuction with a really healthy diet. lots of fruits and veggies, iron rich foods and also foods high in vitamin C would be beneficial. Also, make use of this time to get in good physical shape. Walking, running, anything to help build endurance and especially lung strength would be good. After surgery mucus can start to build up in the lungs (from lying in bed) and you will probably blow into an incentive spirometer every few hours to help keep the lungs clear.

Renee

Comment

Originally posted by alex2006
                    i've never heard of Vitamin E causing clotting problems and I am in pharmacy school.
                    Vitamin E has been known to reduces platelet aggregation. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and recently have been working on some thrombotic stuff. Anyway, vitamin E has some anticoagulant properities. There are some controversies about all that but better safe than sorry. I was told no vitamin E before I had a tumor resection.
                    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                    2005 - T50, L31

2011 - T60, L32
                    2013 - T68, L?

Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Alex2006, just wondering if it was ALL antibiotics that need to be stopped or if some of them are ok before surgery. I am on tetracyclene for acne and have taken daily for months. Will have surgery in December and need to see my Derm. if the antibiotic is going to be a problem pre-op.
                      Thanks for sharing that.
                      Mandy

Comment

Whatever you do, be certain that your surgeon is on board.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mandy,

Is you upcoming surgery scoli-related or anything to do with your previous two surgeries?

Renee

Comment

Oh I will definatly make sure that my surgeon is on board but I had no clue to begin with that antibiotics could pose a problem. I didnt start taking these until about 6 months ago. (Not an issue with the other 2 surgeries).

Renee, yes this is scoli related. I had a progression of my lower lumbar curve under the fusion which caused a herniated disc between L4-L5. From May-October my curve increased 10*. I was not too happy to hear that, but know that I cant live with the pain from the herniation (ouch).

Comment

Mandy,

So sorry to hear about this latest development...to get to the point where you are pretty much fully recovered from one surgery only to have to do another is such a bummer , hopefully after December you will be DONE and can put this behind you! I do admire your good attitude and the way you help others on Spinekids (where I see you have taken a prominent position ).

Now, do you know how your surgeon will proceed to correct the lumbar curve? Will the rod you have now be replaced or will a short rod be used at L-4/L-5? What, if anything, will be done for the herniated disk?

Wishing you a good outcome on your surgery,

Renee

Comment

Working...
                              X