Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 month update

Hi All
    I'm amazed at how far I've come. I went for a follow up visit today and everything is looking great. I feel wonderful other than a tight lower back and hamstrings. I can ALMOST reach my feet, but for now I still use a shoe horn. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week. Looking back I'd do the surgery again in a heartbeat.............wish I would've had the guts years ago.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Hi Summer,

Great news, especially for those of us thinking of having this done within the next year. I hope the tightness goes away soon so that you can completely forget about the whole thing!
    32 y/o male
    S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
    Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

That is such great news Summer. I am only ten days post-op and find myself crying because I wonder if I will ever feel good again. My twin sister and brother-in-law scold me and remind me that a week ago I could barely stand up and shuffle a few feet with a walker. Now I am walking great with my walker and sometimes without. My emotions are all over the place, but mostly I am sad because every movement hurts, I feel so stiff and I wonder if comfort will ever find me again. I does help to hear that there are those of you out there that are feeling normal once again!

Take care and congratulations on your progress!

Dori

Comment

Hey Dori - it's great to hear from you, and only 10 days post-op! I think that is a feat all in itself. I am sure there are difficult times, but try to stay positive and just think - if you have come so far in just 10 days, try to imagine what you will be like in a month - two months even! You can do this, and then when I go through it, you'll be telling me the same thing (after you're back from the gym or something!). So hang in there and know we are all behind you. I see Dr. Kebaish in another couple weeks, so I'll give him grief if you're not feeling a lot better by then!
        32 y/o male
        S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
        Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Hey Summer! That is great news. The hamstrings are tough so don't get discouraged. It is so amazing to think back isn't it? Hard to believe you went through so much worry and now you say you would do it all again. I feel the same way and know those with upcoming surgeries wonder if they too will feel this way post-op. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Hi Summer,

You're an inspiration to anyone thinking about having this surgery!!! It's so great that you're doing so well.

Your feet aren't going anywhere without you, you'll get to them soon enough!!! I still remember the first time I was able to cut my toenails, a huge milestone.

Shari

Comment

Congratulations on doing so well at this stage!!! I say you deserve a pedicure!! those comfy seats and warm massaging water... ahhhhhhh... and then afterwards, you won't have to worry about your toenails for a good while.... Do something nice for yourself after all you've been thru!

(((hugs))) JoAnn

Comment

Hi Dori,
                Please don't let this get you down. I have been told to expect being very weepy & emotional for up to 4 months post-op!! It is a big step & I am getting nervous about my upcoming Anterior & Posterior Surgery, Nov. 3rd & 6th!! So much to do to get ready. Just a very busy mind right now, but that is me!!
                I will keep you in my prayers.
                Keep your chin up, you will do just fine.
                I hope I can remeber that when I have mine done!!
                God bless & be with you in the coming days, weeks, months.
                Ellen

Comment

Hi Ellen,

Remember, the anticipation is the worst part mentally. The physical part comes later. I realized as they wheeled me down the hallway to the OR that my family had it much worse than me, I was knocked out for 8 hours! I do not remember much until day 3, but I did love having the beautiful faces of my family surrounding me. You will be amazed at your own strength and I really believe that God only gives you what you can handle. I am praying for you and for your surgeon to have skillful hands. You will do great!

Good luck,
                  Dori

Comment

You'll be Great

Hi Dori,

At 10 days post-op I was just coming home from the hospital. Didn't start using my computer for at least a week. Also, I didn't find this forum until a few weeks ago. Make sure you are taking enough pain meds; they really helped me at the beginning. I was able to wean off of the strong stuff and now I just use Tylenol when I really need it.

Let your family and friends help you as much as possible. This is the time to be pampered and not worry about anything except getting well. Give yourself time; every week brought an improvement for me, and still does.
                    [SIZE=3]Sandy B
                    Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
                    Dr. William A. Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Medical Center[
                    /SIZE]

Comment

Encouraging

Hi Summer,
                      Reading your post really helps me to put things in perspective. I am 3 1/2 months since my surgery and I think I am doing well. I walk for 30 minutes several times a week. I can push a shopping cart throught the grocery store, although I try not to do the whole store. I am still wearing my brace, so my movements are still restricted. I know I am doing well, but I do get teary and hard on myself at random times. (Could it have anything to do with having 17-year-old twin daughters?) Thanks for your upbeat attitude. It really gives me something to look forward to!
                      Sandy
                      [SIZE=3]Sandy B
                      Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
                      Dr. William A. Lauerman
                      Georgetown University Medical Center[
                      /SIZE]

Comment

Summer...

I am right there with you at 5 mos. post-op. Glad to hear you are doing so well. I think it is important that folks facing surgery hear about the many success stories out there. I wish you continued health and healing.
                        Brandi
                        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                        L1-S1
                        Dr. William Lauerman
                        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I still get weepy Last week I celebrated 3 days without crying. I still have a crying jag from time to time but it is much better than before.
                          surgery 9/06
                          Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
                          X