Clothing after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing after surgery?

I will be having surgery in December and was wondering what type of pj's and clothing is best to have- I will most likely have a brace and I am guessing stretchy waist bands might be best? I live in jeans now but I doubt that will work. And do you have trouble with a shirt that goes on over your head? I thought maybe button up shirts would be better. Just trying to plan ahead-thanks!
    Cathie

I have never had the surgery and I will not be able to, but I recommend that you have pants with stretchy waistbands and shirts that button up the front.

Comment

Hi
      The most comfortable for me was actually drawstring, not elastic. I bought jogging suits and pj's with drawstring bottoms and button up or zip up tops.
      And the best gift I received was a big, warm robe to throw over any clothes when I was cold. Good luck!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Dear BSprings,

Hi-
        Yes, the first couple of weeks you won't be able to lift up your arms over your head so button up the front pajamas and tops work well. You can wear the pullover with help.

Your clothing also depends on the type of brace. If you have the full body hardshell type, you can wear it over the top of your regular clothes. If it is the type to wear under clothes, then the elastic waist and drawstring are best.

Also for shoes and slippers, the slip on type are best as you can't reach down or tie them for a while. Socks are hard at first, also, without help. There is a sock helper which they can show you how to use in the hospital, but I never bought one.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Deb
        age 47
        posterior surgery 7/24/06
        for S curve T70, L76
        30 degrees correction
        DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

Cathie,

I did not like the elastic waistband jogging suits at first because they felt too tight. I wore the drawstring ones the most. And later was able to wear the elastic ones. Slip on slippers and tennies were very helpful to me. Most people loose weight so you will probably be colder then usual so the robe idea is a good one. I bought some cute/warm lounge wear as once home that is when friends and family were over. I didn't want to be in PJ's all the time.

Comment

Cathie,

My daughter had her surgery in December as well. Someone said you won't be able to lift your arms after surgery. That's not true for everyone. Jamie has a very long fusion and as soon as her catheter was out, she started wearing her regular pull over t-shirts and pj bottoms or lounging pants. Being dressed in her own clothes helped her feel better--she felt more like herself. Wearing your own clothes makes it easier when you start walking the halls at the hospital and when you go to p.t.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I wore the hard turtle shell both times. I was most comfortable in jogging pants and a Tshirt. I was cut in the front so I could lift my arms ok.
              I would see where it would be uncomfortable and hurt to lift your arms if incision was made in front around rib area.
              I always wore a Tshirt under my brace and if I went somewhere I could always put a big bulky shirt over the brace. I wore slippers most of the time and if I wore tennis shoes my husband helped me with the laces.
              Good luck with your surgery. I will be rooting for you.
              Mattie

Comment

Jeans Are Okay

My son had a spinal fusion August 14th. He had a very long insision t3-L3. After a week in the hospital he wore jeans home. They were very loose due to some weight lose. He wore button down shirts the first few weeks and then t shirts after that. He was able to get them over his head with out help. His recovery once home has been great.

Comment

Hi Cathie,

I wore the turtle shell and I always wore a thin T-shirt under it. I also wore larger underware and shorts or sweats that fit over my brace so I didn't have to keep taking it off when I had to go to the restroom.

Shari

Comment

Hi Cathie,
                    I have been confused about clothing after surgery as well. I am having mine done on Nov3rd for anterior & Nov 6th for Posterior. I have been told to get larger sizes, & drawstring pants & camis for underneath the brace as they are supposed to very comfortable & have the built in bra support. I am getting a little nervous. Suddenly there seems to be so much to think about getting, so I will be all set when I get home, but maybe some of it will have to wait until afterwards I have so many things to get done in just under 2 weeks now. My Mom's appointments, etc. & making sure all is done here as far as organized for when I get home. Silly things I guess. I hope I will be back on the computer shortly after I get home, but have a feeling that may not happen!! So I wish you the best of luck with your surgery in December & you will be in my prayers. Another thing people tell me is to go to Re-Hab & then another tells me she went right home? Such dilemnas!!
                    Ellen

Comment

I am having my surgery on Dec 5th and have been trying to find button up gowns but haven't had any luck. PJ's have elastic waist bands and would seem uncomfortable in bed. How long do you need to wear the hospital gowns and what is best for rehab hospital? Also what about panties?? When can you start wearing them comfortably again? So many questions --so little time.

Comment

well i wore undies ASAP....lol just get the "granny" cut ones. Drawstring pants are the best, but elastic lays flatter under a brace...i wore pullovers with a bit of help, (ok alot) and buttonup shirts are best. also, i got a pair of clogs because i couldnt tie my shoes for several weeks. FYI..surgery often triggers "cycles" in the ladies...go to the hospital prepared
                        8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the advice- I feel better prepared now!
                          Cathie

Comment

Working...
                          X