Water Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Therapy

Does anyone know of a pool in Northern Virgnina that offers aquatic therapy for post-surgical patients. I recently tried a health club that offered outpatient therapy through Fairfax Hospital. The pool water and air temp were way too cold and the therapist was not very knowledgable. I would like to try again somewhere else.
    [SIZE=3]Sandy B
    Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
    Dr. William A. Lauerman
    Georgetown University Medical Center[
    /SIZE]

Hi Sandy,

I hope there is an answer for your question somewhere out here. I live in West Virginia, and had my surgery in Cleveland, Ohio. I have also had the misfortune of "lack of knowledge" in the area that I live.

I think it's a shame that more medical professionals everywhere are not well informed about our post-op requirements and the proper treatment we need. I also think that our attending physicians and our post-op caregivers, need to be more in touch with each other.

Shari

Comment

Post Op Care

Hi Shari,
      Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling kind of isolated in terms of my recuperation. My friends and family are being helpful and thoughtful, but it would be nice to have other folks to talk to who have gone through this surgery.
      How long ago did you have yours? Are you happy with the results so far?
      I met a woman last night who is 81 years old and had a similar surgery 2 years ago. She says she is back to gardening, but tires very quickly. I can't even imagine gardening!
      Hope you are doing well.
      Sandy
      [SIZE=3]Sandy B
      Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
      Dr. William A. Lauerman
      /SIZE]

Comment

Hi Sandy,

I had my surgery in May, 05. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say it was rough, but I am pleased with the outcome. At the age of 81, I think I would tire quickly no matter what I was doing.

There is no need to feel isolated in any way, now that you have found this forum. You now have a wealth of information, an endless supply of support and the comfort of knowing it's literally at your fingertips!!!

Shari

Comment

More Info

Hi again Shari,

You are only a few months ahead of me; are you still wearing a brace? I go to see Dr. L. on the 31st and am expecting to take it off in the house for several hours a day, but wear it when I am out. Is that what you have been doing?

Are you doing any exercise/therapy? I am walking around the block, which usually takes me 20-30 minutes. I go faster when it is cold. I am thinking of going to the local community center pool, but hesitate to do it alone.

Do you know of anyone else on this forum who had Dr. Lauerman as surgeon?

Sandy
          [SIZE=3]Sandy B
          Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
          Dr. William A. Lauerman
          /SIZE]

Comment

Hi Sandy,

My surgery was in May of 2005. I didn't want to mislead you. At my 3 month post-op visit I was told to ween myself of the brace in the next 5 weeks.

I don't know of anyone that has had the same surgeon as you, but there may be someone else here that has, or knows of someone that has had him do their surgery.

The one thing that I was told to do right after surgery was WALK!!! So keep on walking. Just don't do anything that is not recommended by your doctor, and especially without knowledgeable supervision. I also understand not having access to to knowledgeable supervision.

When you go to your doctor on the 31st, make sure you're clear on what you are supposed to do and ask them if they can help you find an adequate facility near you.

Shari

Comment

Clarification

Shari,
              Thanks for clarifying. I find that walking is the best exercise right now; it was my "sport" of choice before my surgery too.

You're right about questioning my doctor; I plan on going with a list. The doctors are in such a hurry that it is sometimes hard to remember what to ask.

Weaning from the brace over 5 weeks sounds about right. That is what I have heard from the nurse, but I suppose the doctor has to see my latest x-rays before deciding that.

Thanks for keeping up with my questions. I am sorry I didn't find this forum a lot sooner.

Sandy
              [SIZE=3]Sandy B
              Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
              Dr. William A. Lauerman
              /SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X